Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Default Adding a "lift kit" or leaf springs to a 17T

Hello all,

We have a 2007 17T and love everything about it except it's ground clearance. We rarely camp in a campground and Forrest service roads in Montana aren't known for their smoothness. So, we have managed to rip off the black tank valve twice now .

In looking under the trailer, the axel is mounted directly to the frame, so I was thinking we could easily put a larger steal plate in to raise the distance between the axel and frame or possible even add some leaf springs with shackles. Has anyone done this before, is there any reason why we couldnt????

Let me know, thanks

Mike

DaKaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Mike, I have raised the frame and waste pipe on our 1707T by two inches. That part of it is near the end of this thread: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f26/...verloaded-412/

To raise the trailer, Ivan welded a length of box beam between the frame of the trailer and the axle mounting plate. That added 1.5 inches to the clearance. With that and having the axle moved forward 3 inches, I was able to mount 225/75-R15 tires on the axle which added another 1/2 inch to the clearance.

I'm much more comfortable with this configuration.

I don't know that I'd try to add leaf springs though. The torsion bar design seems to be a preferred suspension.

- Jack

Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
I had a 1999 24T that set very low. After hitting and breaking the awing support and the sewer connection, I raised the camper 3" using 2X3 tubing between the frame and the torsion axles. This is the same size tubing the 2499T has as a frame. I welded a flat plate to the 2X3s, I purchased for the lift and drilled holes matching the holes for the axles, 2 in the plate and two in the tubing. I unbolted one side of one axle at a time, bolted in the tubing and then bolted on the axle. Was able to have the parts welded in a shop and painted before installing. Completed the work in my yard in one afternoon.
The camper towed better and extra 3" gave me lots of clearance and gave me more height for sewer drainage.
This was project done by my wife's cousin and it worked very well for him.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote