Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Running Gear | Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Axles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default adding ez lube to older hi-lo

has anyone added e-z lube caps to an older hi-lo, and how well did they work for long distance users compared to repacking their bearings by hand?

robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #2

In my opinion, EZ Lube caps are not a good idea. Even the newer axles that have that built in can be problematic. People have the tendency to pump too much grease into the hubs and blow out the seals. This in turn allows grease to get to the break drums and ruin the brake shoes. Additionally, the hubs should be pulled periodically to inspect the bearings and races. Then the old grease can be replaced. My dealer friend does not like the EZ lube for those reasons, he feels they are more trouble than they are worth. Every year when I take our HiLo for state inspection I have the bearings repacked and have never had a problem.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

thanks for your honest opinion, guess i'll just do it the good o'lfashion way,do it right or don't do it at all, and have a professional do it
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

Exclamation About EZ Lube axle bearings.

Some of the statements given above, were correct in that it's possible to over pressure grease installation, and blow out the seals. However......

By raising the wheels off the ground, spinning the wheel while slowly pumping in WARM grease, one can fill the cavities quite sufficiently to do the grease change. BUT.......
BEFORE you do this; the first time you inspect the bearings for condition and security, then subsequently you can re-grease as required.
Any old grease will come out the end, and when the new grease is seen, you're done.
Normally, good bearings last 'forever and two days', if re-greased occasionally.
Should there be any breakdown of the bearing, it will show up in the old ejected grease, and then needs investigation.
When installing new seals, they are usually "Krazy Glued" in when set, and are a 'bitch' to remove, therefore, 'popping' a seal is somewhat difficult.
Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote