Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #1

Default best tires ?

i am looking to replace the tires on my 99 towlite but i see some people don't like the goodyears,so what brand would you get?

kwdstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #2

Default Tire replacement

I replaced with Goodyear Marathon after hearing they were the best. Found that they too are made in China. Whatever you buy insure that you keep the air pressure up and maintained close to, or at , the maximum rating.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Team

I had both OEM Goodyear Marathon Load Range C tires fail due to cord separation after only two years. I've replaced them with Maxxis M8008 ST radial Load Range D tires. So far, I'm much happier with that brand. I got them through Discount Tire and they are only slightly more expensive than the Marathons. The salesman I talked to there said he had heard many bad reports about Goodyears too.

I echo the advice about keeping them inflated properly. The max pressure on my tires is 65 psi and that's what I keep in them. I also have a tire pressure and temperature monitoring system installed (I've reviewed it in these forums) so I can keep tabs on them while towing.

- Jack
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #4

I have found that the higher load capacity tires are better ,but with any camper tires it isn't how many miles you get out of them it is how many years you get . I found that after 5 years they will start to pop .Also always check the mfg. date of the tire ,just because it is new to you it might have been on a tire rack for several years .
1sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdstalker View Post
i am looking to replace the tires on my 99 towlite but i see some people don't like the goodyears,so what brand would you get?
I had a Goodyear 'blow-out' on the trailer while it was sitting in our driveway last summer so I bought a set of 10-ply Gremax tires for our 2406 and I am very pleased with them. They are reasonably priced and very popular with the local ranchers and farmers and very reliable with very few problems [per the tire shop manager]. .

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #6

If you look at other trailer sites you will find stories of blowouts with virtually every brand trailer tire out there. Trailer tires have a hard life and it is not unusual to have them blow out. I'd go with what you can afford and try to go to a load range D tire (10 ply) if possible. Check the pressure frequently and make sure that they don't spend a lot of time parked in direct sun or on wet, porous surfaces (dirt, for example).

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #7

Default Re: Tires

Try e-trailer.com or Trailer parts superstore. I was browsing them the other day and saw some load range E trailer tires. I saw someone answer "just get what you can afford. Which is cheaper, a real good set of tires of the side of your trailer ripped out by a blowout. I have learned the hard way several times that you get what you pay for.

Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote