Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Brake Controler Fuse

I have a 10 amp fuse from the car battery to the trailer connector for the electronic brakes. As soon as I step on the brakes, the fuse blows. Is a ten amp fuse big enough for double axle (four brakes) or do I have a short or other problem? Mechanic is having trouble finding a problem and wants to put in a bigger fuse. I don't think I like that idea.

Thanks

PartTimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #2

I think it would be wise to check for a short in the system before increasing the fuse capacity. Look up what the controller calls for and don't exceed that. If it worked with that fuse before, it should still work with it assuming nothing else is wrong.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #3

Default Problem solved

Fuse blew when controller was cranked up to 7.5 or above. The higher the setting, the firmer the brakes and the more current drawn. Turns out wiring package and controller were separate packages and controller was rated up to 30 amps but wiring had in-line 10 amp fuse. Mechanic knew what he was doing and replace 10 amp fuse with 20. All's well, brakes work, and no charge for fix!
This info may be helpful to someone, one day.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #4

I like stories with happy endings. Now, go and enjoy!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #5

Default A little more info re: fuse

Thanks, Rich, for your input. Don't want to beat this horse to death but I found a reference on the forum to the Dexter manual. This is a wonderful forum!!
For four brakes, the electromagnets, depending on size of the brakes, draw from 10 to 12 amps max. That explains perfectly why my brakes worked until I cranked up the controller setting, blowing my 10 amp fuse.
BTW, Dexter recommends that brakes NOT be fused. I understand why but I have trouble with that. A short, without a fuse, could melt wires and even be a fire hazard.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #6

That brings up an interesting thought. My Tacoma has the pre-wired connector for the brake controller so no fuse had to be added during installation. I will have to look to see what the brake circuit has for a fuse, assuming it has one. I'm running dual axles and have had no problems.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
That brings up an interesting thought. My Tacoma has the pre-wired connector for the brake controller so no fuse had to be added during installation. I will have to look to see what the brake circuit has for a fuse, assuming it has one. I'm running dual axles and have had no problems.
Your tacoma will have a fuse for "trailer" brakes (when you have factory tow package, even though you had to go buy the brake controller). It most likely will reside in the main fuse box under the hood, that is if they are like FORD and DODGE trucks I have.

My dodge has a 40 amp fuse, I some how blew it last night when I hooked up to hide the camper in the shed (sofball sized hail reported on the radio around me, made me move it from the drive to the shed.)

IT worked to the lake, and back home though. wierd.