Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #1

Default leveling jack

I need a leveling jack for my 2510. I was wondering what size - 5000lb or 7500?

Thanks. You all are so helpful.

Dean

ldmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Dean, if you are talking about the tongue jack, 5000# should be enough. It needs to support the tongue weight, which is 10-15% of your trailer's total weight AND, the weight of the rear of your Tow Vehicle when it is connected and you lift both of them with the jack to attach the load distribution bars or chains. I can't imagine that would exceed 5000#. I think mine is 3500#, but I have a smaller trailer.

But, if you are talking about the jacks along the frame that are dropped when you are camping, those are "stabilizing jacks" and they should NOT be used to "level" the trailer, because they can distort the frame if used this way. They should only be extended to the point that they stop the trailer from rocking and rolling like a ship at sea when you move around in it. As such, they don't support much weight - maybe up to 100# each?

- Jack

Old 06-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #3

If what you're looking for is a means of levelling the trailer side to side, you might look into Anderson's leveling ramp & block sets (https://andersenhitches.com/products/camper-leveler). We've been using two sets of these (one for each axle) for the last three years and they're by far the easiest means of levelling we've ever used. Lifetime warranty, too.