Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2022, 12:23 PM   #1

Default Original tire size for 1999 21TL Towlite

I have done a number of searches and cannot find the info. Would appreciate help. Buying the trailer some distance away and the tires are more than 7 years old. Being prudent, need to have new ones available near where I pickup the trailer. Thanks for the help.

COjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Can't you ask the seller? The brochure for that year and length shows 13" wheels, but not the tire size.

- Jack

Old 04-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #3

Default tires

The trailer is still in storage, husband out of town, and I want locate tires near their location. So thought I would ask if anyone knew the size.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #4

at tractor supply if you have one nearby they show a 13 inch tire and rim . in this link at the top on the right
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...heel%20combos?

direct link to the tire and rim
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...3?cm_vc=-10005

if none around you I purchased a tire and rim at a farm implement store
Lwwilltravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Team

You MAY find it difficult to match the tires that are on that trailer. I just did a quick search (not all brands) on Discount Tire's website. Looks like they may have discontinued some of the 13" tires. Possibly, you may be able to fit 14" wheels and tires on that trailer. But, you'd have to match the stud count and diameter, and the 14" tires would have to fit in the wheel wells and be clear of each other on the common sides, since you will have tandem axles.

It would be helpful if another member that has a trailer with 13" wheels would come on and tell you what tires they use. You may find the OEM size, but your brand selection will probably be limited.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Thanks, Lwwill. I'm pretty sure the ST175/80D13 would fit, but it's a "diagonal ply" tire and there are certainly better types around now. It looks to be the smallest 13" tire though, so clearances would be no problem.

If you get this trailer, I'd try to find a 14" radial ply tire and wheel that would fit.

How far are you going to drive it to get it home? If you kept your speed around 55 mph, you might be able to do it and then you'd have time to do a thorough search.

- Jack
Old 04-05-2022, 06:51 PM   #7

Default tires

Thanks all for the help. From what I can find and the comments made, the tires are probably 175/80R13. The trip is only about 200 miles but that is with using the interstate. Without the internet, the trip becomes significantly longer. So will have to decide which option to choose - get new tires up front or take a chance on using the old tires. Again, thanks all.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by COjed View Post
Thanks all for the help. From what I can find and the comments made, the tires are probably 175/80R13. The trip is only about 200 miles but that is with using the interstate. Without the internet, the trip becomes significantly longer. So will have to decide which option to choose - get new tires up front or take a chance on using the old tires. Again, thanks all.
last 13s i bought were on EBAY /// Amaz had some back then too
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:26 PM   #9
sam

Default Just a few thoughts

DH was in Mavis tire for exhaust repair. Original parts 80,000 Miles. They were glad to relieve us of $300.00. Getting cash back on the credit card takes a little of the sting out. Shop rate is $150.00 per hr. Another customer was asking about trailer tires. Shop manager named off six foreign brands. None in stock and on back order for quite a few months. If you end up going with 14" tires and they are hard to install you might need to let some air out and re inflate. Check that the tires will be proper for the size rim you have. In other words tires and rims are matched. We had to purchase new tires and rims. If you can check your brakes and bearings. Wouldn't want you to chance a blowout on the way home. Costly and can cause a lot of damage. The old rims couldn't take the new tire inflation. Seems to me I remember some have to take the fender skirt off to change a tire. Make sure the fourteen" tires aren't rubbing on the inner wheel well. Best of luck getting your new to you HiLo home. Welcome to the forum.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:13 PM   #10
Site Team

I just did a more extensive search for 13" tires. Looks like Carlisle still has 175/80R13s in both C1 and D1 load ratings. Heartland also has that tire, but only in the C1 load rating. Same for Taskmaster and Hankook. I can't find other brands in that size, and you DO want trailer tires on a trailer, not automobile tires, because you need the extra sidewall stiffness.

I don't have any experience with any of these, but they are available through Discount Tire and would probably be safer than the tires currently on the trailer. I've read mixed reviews about Carlisles, but I'd probably choose them in the D1 rating out of the choices I've seen, just because of the increased load rating. Remember, these trailer tires are all speed limited to 65 mph. Don't go faster than that because they will heat up too much.

- Jack
Old 04-06-2022, 08:25 AM   #11

Thanks Jack. I found some at Discount Tire near the location of the trailer.