Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Default RE-thinking up grades

So- I got a quote and FIVE new wheels and tires is going to run about 950.00. Thus, I may be getting cold feet. So- what are folk's thoughts? One issue I have is uneven tire wear which I have not resolved (what is causing it). However, I've got two tires now with the issue as I switched the tire from the wheel that is the culprit ( driver front) to the rear curb side but last season I got the same issue on the tire I switched to the front. Anyway- I thought going to fourteens would be a good idea and , also, switching to radials in the process. Cant remember why I thought going to fourteens would be a good idea but I think it had to do with getting radials. I raised trailer last season by three inches.

So- if I dont switch- I will likely have to buy two new 13" tires anyway. Any thoughts on ADVANTAGES to going to the fourteens?---I'm thinking the fifteens will be a bit too close to each other on the tandem.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Team

The advantage in going to a larger sized wheel/tire combo is an increased load carrying capability. This should reduce running temperatures in the tires which tends to weaken them, leading to tire failure. Larger tires will have a lower rotation speed too, which may reduce the wear on them some.

If you are going to replace all the tires anyway, I don't think the extra cost of the larger wheels will be that much, and the cost increase per tire is pretty low.

What's off putting is the total cost of a set of five. However, I'm looking at spending around $1000 for a new set of tires for my F150, so I see this as just the cost of periodic maintenance.

I DO wish you could figure out what is causing the uneven wear though, and fix it.

- Jack

Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #3

Thanks, Jack. I wish I could figure it out, too. I guess I will take it back to the guy who did the camber last year and have him look at it one more time. My fear is the axle is so weak that it keeps re-bending and it will just get worse- and require new axles.... and I think it was you who looked into new and stronger axles at one point- wasn't it? I just got a "newer" truck- only 39k on it, but the Goodyear Wranglers on it look a bit rough so I hear you about a new set of tires ------I priced michelins out around 1k, also.
Going over to get my old prodigy II installed in the new truck tomorrow- then I can haul it around and decide what to do. Maybe I will just go two new 13" tires for the season and see what happens.

Well, hell. Its only money, right??

4x4
Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Yup, it's only money. That $1K you mentioned is what I came up with for Michelins for my truck too. I have Goodyear Silent Armor on there now, but they look fairly worn at about 46,000 miles. I suppose I can't complain since I think they are 50,000 mile tires. And, they've never had a flat. The Michelins I was looking at have a 70,000 mile treadwear warranty.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

Went in this morning and got a much better quote from dealer. So- he tried putting on15s but they touched each other. Went ahead and installed 14s on one side to see how it would work. Its close on top and side but it clears. How much do the axles/tires move up and down going over bumps? pics posted: Thoughts appreciated. pic 1 new 14s; pic 2 old 13s; pic 3 13s at top/side; pic 4 14 top/side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nw14 space#2.jpg (83.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 13space.jpg (90.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 13space top:side#1.jpg (89.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg new14 space top side.jpg (88.9 KB, 21 views)

4x4
Old 04-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

More pics:

1st is 13s-next two the fourteens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13top sideview.jpg (86.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg new14 space top.jpg (83.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg new 14 space.jpg (88.6 KB, 16 views)

4x4
Old 04-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
Site Team

I can't imagine the 14" wheels/tires would give you any upper clearance problems with a 3" lift. If the new tires are less than 6" in diameter larger than the old tires (a less than 3" increase in radius), they won't be any closer to the roof of the wheel well than the old ones were before the lift.

From your pictures, it looks to me like your tire diameter increase is 2-3" or less? That would put the top of the tires no more than 1.5" higher than the old 13" tires are now.

- Jack
Old 04-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #8

I will have to look closer and measure tomorrow. I think my concern is more the tire width. There is room from top of tire to top of wheel well. It's the outside top that concerns me, where it would " go into" wheel well. I suppose as long as there is no wwobblewhich would be bad by itself- it should work. 5 wheels and tires for 500.00 is not a bad deal . Guess I can get them on and off if they did.

4x4
Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
Site Team

I found my tire width increased only about 0.9" by going to a larger, D-rated tire on a 15" wheel. However, your increase may be more since you are changing your wheel diameter too. (Mine stayed the same, although I went from a 5" width wheel to a 6" width wheel).

Anyway, I've had no wheel well/tire interference with the new size.

I agree, your wheels should not wobble. I wonder if you could see the camber problem if someone else drove your TV-trailer while you watched from the outside? (In a vacant parking lot of course.)

An axle is not really too expensive. As I recall, when mine was replaced (a 3500# torsion axle), it was in the neighborhood of $350 from Dexter. But, my service contract/warranty paid for it.

- Jack
Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #10

@ Jack. First off- thanks for sticking with me on this thread. I trust your experiences and insight. Anyway- went back and crawled around some more and I really dont think the side wall is that much closer to the edge of the well than the thirteens are, it just looks scarier because with the lift the thirteens are now BELOW the well where the fourteens start to go back up and into it. So I told them to go ahead.....but not to throw away my old tires and wheels. The trailer is starting to get pretty damn high, now. No problem getting under there to service it, thats for sure. Hopefully I dont pick up too much extra wind drag. I'll take some pics and post when they get it done. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick

4x4
Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #11
Site Team

You MAY get a bit more wind drag, but you're really not increasing your frontal area. It will sit a bit higher than the roof of your tow vehicle, but I doubt you'll really notice much difference.

Don't forget to adjust the ball height for the increase in tongue height, so the trailer still rides level.

Personally, I think with my trailer lifted and with the larger tires, I think it tows better.

- Jack
Old 04-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #12

Rick, if you really get tired of tread wear put on some torsion axles.
I have used scores of these on my FMX trailer ramps with zero issues.
4 bolts and that is all that is needed to hold them in place. I use grade 8 bolts with metal lock nuts though.

Images and links are attached in case others are interested

Trailer Torsion Axles

Andy Jones' Suspended Ramp

FMX Ramps - Suspended Ramp

Other (ugly) Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle_mech.jpg (94.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg axle_pivot.jpg (94.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg axle_pivot_pin.jpg (95.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-592F.jpg (98.3 KB, 21 views)
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #13

I'm pretty sure that I already have two torsion axles on there. New ones may be in order, though.

4x4
Old 04-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
I'm pretty sure that I already have two torsion axles on there. New ones may be in order, though.
Yes, it is a rubber suspension.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote