Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
JRF

Default Recommended wheel torque setting?

Good Morning,

Anyone have information about the proper wheel torque settings
for a 2310? I have a tire with a thumbnail sized flap on the sidewall and I plan on pulling all the wheels to carefully inspect them before our trip out west this fall. They are US made Goodyear Marathon 205/75/15, which are the subject of much debate in all the trailer forums. I will probably replace them all if the dealer sees any abnormalities with the damaged tire.

JRF

JRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #2

I still have the stickers on my rims and they say to torque to 90-120 pounds.

While I have you here, do you have a weight rating sticker/tag somewhere inside that gives all the weights for the trailer, i.e. dry weight, gross weight, maximum cargo weight, etc.? I cannot find one in our 2310. They should be inside a cupboard door and are required by law. The only thing I have found are the three stickers outside.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
JRF

Hi RichR,

I found a sticker inside the cabinet door to the right of the refrigerator. I can post a picture once I recharge my camera battery if need be..

Basically it reads. GVWR 7000
Minus UVW 3947
Minus Fresh Water 299
Minus Propane 40
CCC 2714

I also saw the post from the folks with the 1707, which was very interesting since we traded in a 1707 which I never actually weighed. I think I will get serious about getting some exact numbers before I head out again.
JRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Site Team

We're those "folks" I think, JRF.

Your weight sticker certainly shows you have plenty of leeway. The CCC of 2700 lbs means we could almost put my trailer on top of yours! I'm going to re-weigh my trailer and truck soon, in a way that will eliminate the effect of the WD hitch. I suspect it MIGHT show a lower axle loading that way, and, I have to believe that Dexter builds in a sufficient margin of safety to allow for WD hitches.

But, I'm certainly not impressed with the Goodyear Marathon 205/75R15 tires that were OEM on our trailer. Cord separation in 5K miles and one year seems totally unreasonable.

Just as an aside, I torque my wheel nuts to 120 ft-lbs. I can't find any sticker, mark or anything else about this, but everything I read in other sources implied this was a safe value. AND, they DO "loosen"! They absolutely MUST be rechecked and re-torqued several times after mounting!

- Jack
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #5

I have a Dexter manual that says to torque in three stages and ending up with 90-120 for a 15" tire. I usually go with 40/ 75/110 lbs and use a cross hatch pattern. I think this helps to keep the rim uniformly tightened onto the hub. I've seen dealers fully tighten one nut, then another. This would seem to put a lot of stress on the rim. Dexter has a lot of info on their web site.

Ralph
rgelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
Hi RichR,

I found a sticker inside the cabinet door to the right of the refrigerator. I can post a picture once I recharge my camera battery if need be..

Basically it reads. GVWR 7000
Minus UVW 3947
Minus Fresh Water 299
Minus Propane 40
CCC 2714

I also saw the post from the folks with the 1707, which was very interesting since we traded in a 1707 which I never actually weighed. I think I will get serious about getting some exact numbers before I head out again.
JRF, what does your yellow outside sticker say? Mine has 2664 pounds, I don't if that is the CCC or what. It doesn't say.

Check you message box.

Rich

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote