Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Default surge brakes to electric

Hello all, my 1969 voyager is in need of a brake overhaul and I was wondering if anyone has upgraded these brakes to electric or replaced the surge tounge on an older HILO. I was thinking of just replacing the tounge and rebuilding the drum brakes, I'm on a pretty tight budget, but want to know I'll have good brakes, any comments would be much appreciated!!!

hilohowru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #2

Default electreic brakes

changing for hydraulic to electric on that old of a trailer could be tricky

it all depends on what manufacture was used

the first thing is that there is a place for the magnet to ride if you are going to try to use the old drums.
the second will be the depth of the drum to handle the dimensions of the new brake assembly.
and also are the old brakes welded onto the axle

if any one of these things don't function correctly
your best off to replace the whole axle unit
(brakes, drums and all)

jay simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

I'll have to check out your suggestions! I just had no idea where to start. Thanks!!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilohowru View Post
Hello all, my 1969 voyager is in need of a brake overhaul and I was wondering if anyone has upgraded these brakes to electric or replaced the surge tounge on an older HILO. I was thinking of just replacing the tounge and rebuilding the drum brakes, I'm on a pretty tight budget, but want to know I'll have good brakes, any comments would be much appreciated!!!
Go to a good boat or utility trailer sales/maintenance outfit and they should be able to give you advice on what is the best way go. Northern Tool also sells brake upgrades.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

I agree with Jim L. Do you have a U-Haul facility near you? I believe they still use surge brakes on their trailers. They might be able to help you out.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
sam

Default Introducing Jay Simon

Jay is the parts manager at Mantelli trailer sales. If my memory serves me correctly he has 24 yrs. of experience at this dealership. He is extrememly well versed in HiLo. We have known him for 14yrs. and I can vouch for his knowledge and honesty. He will answer anyones questions and will ship parts anywhere. www.mantelli.com,Jay @mantelli.com 1-716-625-8877 Fax (716)625-8877. This dealership is located in Lockport,N.Y. The nearest big city is Buffalo,N.Y. or Niagara Falls.N.Y.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #7

I do have a u-haul near by, I'll check them out. I will have to make a trip to the lake 4 boat trailers,Darn!I will chck out Northern tool for brakes, We have their catalog, never thought of them. Thanks also for the reference to mantelli, I'll have to give him a buzz!!!! THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR INPUT!!!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #8

I was just under my 69 hilo. I am going to conver to electric brakes this spring. the backing plate that bolts on is same bolt spacing as electric brake backing plate. parts off etrailer website look to be a direct fit. will post more after I begin the swap
blake8105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #9

I recently did a hydraulic surge to electric conversion on a dual-axle box trailer, on a Monday in West Virginia, under pressure during a move (because the surge system failed going down a mountain).

It's not that bad, IF the hub mounts are a conventional 4-bolt with a standard pattern.

You WILL have to get new drums with the machined surface for the magnet to ride on, and you'll need to do something with the tongue to stop it from moving (I just drilled through the slide portion and put a nice stout 3/8" grade 8 bolt with a lock washer and a nylock nut).

Mind, I did all this sitting in an Autozone parking lot, under duress. Took me all day, partly to round up parts (2 trips to tractor Supply for the electric brake kit which includes everything BUT the drums, and one trip through the country to locate drums), and partly because I put the backing plates on the wrong sides initially, so had to undo and re-do those 8 freakin' PITA bolts (not really that bad, just tight space behind the plates.

Could probably knock this out in 3.5 hours if I had the parts on hand. It's really more tedious than difficult, and that I'm a bit picky about running wire nicely.

My total cost was about $300. I could probably do better shopping for the parts.

Here ya go - everything you need for $250 from Northern Tools:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4141_200514141
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #10

took one brake hub off today to get bearing numbers. unfortunately the older ones do not use standard trailer hubs/bearings. The bearings on the drums relate to mid 60's ford cars. they are bigger than current bearings for trailers. the atwood coupler on mine still functions so I will replace the master cylinder with a new one.. looks like one from 65 mustang with manual brakes is what it is. all other brake parts ar mid 60's ford parts. drums are Kelsey-hayes.

other options are replace axle assembleys, have welding shop cut off and replace spindle with newer model.

blake8105 is offline   Reply With Quote