Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Default Tire size 215s?

Hi
It's time for some new shoes. Has anyone tried to put 215/75r 15s on a dual axle? I have a 2310h.
Any real world advice would be appreciated

Thiebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

My trailer (2001) came with 13 inch tires and I could not get 14s on much less 15s. 14s worked as far as having enough clearance between tires but the widths were off. Considre all dimensions before buying tires.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #3

Mine comes with the standard 205/75 15s but I was wondering if the 10mm wider tire would interfere with anything
Thiebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Measure the clearances you have in the wheel wells. I didn't have any problem mounting larger tires once I had the frame raised above the axle (see my earlier posts). But, the axle was also moved forward a full three inches because it was way too close to the steps as it came from the factory. My new tires are about 0.8" wider than the 205 OEMs and are about 1" larger in diameter. They are 225/75R15s as I recall.

I DID have to shorten the cable adjustment bolts that protruded into the wheel well with the new tire position. But, they were easy to cut off and I don't see ever having a need to lengthen the cables.

As long as you are able to mount the new tires on your existing rims, you will only see about 0.5cm (or less than 1/4") less clearance on the sides. Are you sure the diameter is the same? The tires have to clear each other, as well as the ends and top of the wheel wells.

- Jack
Old 02-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #5

When I replaced my 205 tires on my 06 Hilo I increased the rating of the tire but kept the same size
The trailer came with c rated tires but I installed D rated which allowed me to run higher tire pressure up to 65 psi which for me the trailer tows better with less heat build up on the tires
I installed maxxis brand tire which had high reviews they weren't available near me so I ordered them using Amazon with free shipping and had a local tire shop mount them
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #6

As I said- the tires I put on were a bit too wide to clear the width of the area in the wheel wells. However, I have noticed that later model hi-los that mounted 15s had more spacious allowances width wise. THAT SAID, we were able to fit the tires on one side of the trailer but not the other! Say what?? Yes, the axles were a wee bit longer on one side than the other and in my case it made a difference. Who knows, if they were perfectly installed there may not have been enough room on either side. To reiterate what Jack said- MEASURE! And measure all of it-dont assume that stuff was installed symmetrically at the factory so that what fits in one space will necessarily fit in another corresponding space. Especially with axles. Mine is one example of things being off and and Jack had another experience where he had to have his axle moved from the factory install.

Rick

4x4
Old 02-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Dang, Rick - I thought I was the only "lucky one" regarding axles. Hi-Lo doesn't seem to have been very big on quality control were they?

I might as well add that Ivan, who moved my axle, told me my original axle was not mounted perpendicular to the long axis of the trailer either. Hi told me this is not an uncommon "feature" in trailers though. So, I guess Hi-Lo is not the only manufacturer to be sloppy.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #8

Really- you think there would have been a jig or two for mounting the brackets and drilling holes- wouldn't you? I assume it is one of the first things installed so my guess is there is plenty of room to move around and do it.

Rick

4x4
Old 02-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
Site Team

I'd hate to imagine what cars and trucks would be like if they were manufactured this way!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #10
sam

Default Tire sizes

The former owner of our HiLo owned a tire store. One of the tires he put on was defective..kept loosing air. Another tire was a little bit to wide and rubbed a hole in the wheel well. Got this hole repaired by our HiLo dealer. As stated by other posters Measure measure and measure again!! We had to order in our tires at Dunn tire. We went this route because of nation wide warrranty and they would balance the tires. Our dealer didn't offer tire balancing.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #11

yeah but it shows you also why all their dam wood rotted out, every where too. lol
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #12

hi, I wanted to say. I found that 1964 15' voyager and it had the 15's on it they were way to big. they needed changed they were dry rotted. when I jacked it up to change I had to let all the air out of the tire, and jack the camper up so high it was tilted almost to the point of falling over. I posted about that on here and sam answered me I think. the tire and rim on the 15's barely fit in between the brake drum and fender well. had I been on the road with a flat I would have been screwed. I had to use a floor jack to even get it hi enough in the air. I still have one side to change yet. I went to 14" tires/rims they are still tight but easier. just to let you know thank you. also the stock u bolts for the leaf springs are not far from the road now either.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #13

Default new pics

some new stuff I been doing. I got 25' of garage door bottom soft vinyl weather stripping for $2.50 cents cut it in half. only needed 1 1/2 inches it was 3".
it don't look so hot right now, but its not done yet. I wired in 12vdc terminal strips, pos. and neg. I made from breaker boxes, and I now have 27 volt solar. 30 amp controller, 16 function. cant find them pics. added 12vdc switch to side of the front of the sink for the electric water pump, its 35 psi self priming pump. the tank on front is a 35 gallon fresh water tank. need a transom plug for the one drain fitting. inch and a half.
I took the old propane line from the 3 burner, and ran it into the battery box to use as frame ground. all be behind the fridge wiring and thru the cupboards. the battery box is under far front seat. the aqua flush 4 toilet I decided i am going to put it in, prolly 1st seat by door up frnt, or middle seat up frnt. my camo burlap for my cushions and or drapes I got at tractor supply on clearance its 54" x 12 feet for 7 bucks. I have 6" foam I picked up.
cant find my other pics . thanks everyone! lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weathersrtrip.jpg (187.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg batbox2.jpg (148.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg camomat.jpg (275.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg batbox1.jpg (200.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
sam

Default Nice pictures of your repairs

Thanks for sharing. Read something interesting. The younger generation just throws something out if it breaks or doesn't work. Us of an older generation usually try and fix something if it is broken.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:27 AM   #15

Yeah Sam that's how and all I've survived on my whole life, is fixing broken things. not much I can't fix or make. you are right. one time I picked up a weed whacker looked brand new from the store. I pulled the rope it was froze. I manually twisted the string head pulled and it fired up like new. prolly$130 weed whacker free. i'm havin fun working on my camper its come a long ways.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 AM   #16

so sorry I did not mean to hijack this thread. I am new and still trying to learn where things go. my pics are spread out everywhere, when I try to make an album like those other ones I see. I didn't mean to put this in here. than you mike
Old 03-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #17

back to the tire discussion. Am going to look at a 2004 hilo and have no idea what model it is. Just know that I am going to place a deposit on it if everything is good. the price is certainly right. But will need to get the 5 inch lift kit on it, and put at least 15 inch tires. Just hope the 2004 had 15 inch tires. Good previous note about getting D rated tires and filling them up with higher pressure air for the highway travel.
Goshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:15 PM   #18

Welcome to the Forum!

All 2004 Hi-Lo's had 15" tires. Probably 205/75R15 load Range C, you could go to a D without changing physical tire size and increase air pressure to 65 pounds.

Here's a link to the 2004 brochure from our library: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f52/...-2004-hi-lo-6/
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #19

turned out it was a 2002 22T model. and it had some serious mold problems. will start another thread to discuss that.

Goshawk is offline   Reply With Quote