Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Running Gear | Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Axles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #1

Default What Axles are on my 89 Hi-Lo Funchaser

This is probably a dumb question, but do all the Hi Lo's use Dexter Axles? I'm going to be re-packing my bearings over the next few days and want to make sure I get the correct bearing seals.

I believe the brake size is 10" x 2-1/4", and it is a 5 bolt hub. If it's a Dexter axle, I believe the seal replacement number is: 010-004-00.

Does anybody know if this sounds right?

Thanks,
Dolan

dgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #2

dgreene

I just recently packed the bearings on our 2201TL, thats the seal that was in ours.

Here's a couple of tips I learned on our project:

- The seal number is embossed on the rubber part of the old seal.

- One auto store offered us a flimsy replacement seal, the rubber lip was only half as thick as the orignal. I would avoid those. We found a matching seal at a local RV shop.

-New cotter keys, 1/8" X 2 1/4, or longer.

-Wheel bearing grease, not multi purpose grease. It has a higher temp rating.

-Inspect the brakes

-Dump any loose dust out of the drums, be careful not to get any grease in them.

-Lubricate and free up the brake adjuster, BEFORE, you put the hub back on the trailer. It sure makes adjusting the brakes a lot easier.

-The axle nut adjustment goes like this: Turn it fairly tight and spin the hub to seat the bearings, back the nut off a quarter turn, tighten the nut till its just snug, do not over tighten.

-Getting the seal out of the hub can be tedious, take you're time and just keep working at it.

-Paper towels or rags etc.

I also had two lug nuts that had the threads stretched in them and were strubborn to get off. The lug studs were fine. This is also a good time to repair any problems in that area two.

Neal

-Adjust the brakes until they just lightly touch the drum.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

Default Thanks for the information

Thanks for the info. I tried calling a local RV dealership for bearing grease seals and they didn't sell them. They told me to check Autozone. I tried Autozone and they do not sell the seals either.

I found a local store that specializes in axles and bearings. They sold me a set of bearing seals that are the same size as the ones I removed, but they are plastic instead of metal. Do you think this is ok, or should I keep looking?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #4

I looked over the bearing seals a bit closer and found they are made of metal and are coated with a layer of rubber or plastic. They are not bare metal like the ones I removed, but I'm guessing they will work fine.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #5

dgreene

The seals sound like they will work just fine, expecially if the rubber part of the seal looks simular to the original ones. Take your time.

Oh, by the way, be sure to check the bearings for any metal flaking or heavy discoloration, either of which are reason to replace the bearing.

Do not wash the old bearings, just use a claen rag to wipe as much of the old grease off as possible. The reason for not washing them in solvent, is that its hard to get all the solvent out, and the solvent is designed to break down and remove the grease.. so you can see the problem with that.

You'll do fine

Neal
Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #6

Just a quick FYI Tractor Supply has all the bearings seals and also drums that fit the HiLo Classic's. I had a hub break away from the drum and Tractor Supply had everything I needed to do a Road side repair,luckly there was no spindel damage.