Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Default 1994 24-ft HiLo Wall Repair

We bought a 1994 HiLo for $3500. Let the buyer beware...We got a good deal, complete with a rotten wall filled with black mold.

We bought this camper so that we could have a place to stay on our apple farm while we have an extensive remodeling project done on our house. It's going to take four - five mos and since we like to camp, figured we could stay there with our two kids.

We've moved 90% of the stuff out of our house into a rented trailer on the property and were about to move into the camper when....

I poked my finger through a lump in the wall. Right through. Started ripping it out and one thing led to another....now the whole wall, inside and out has been removed. DH is a worker. He got the whole thing ripped out and cut all new frame mat'ls in two ten-hour days. He was totally focused and should be working out in the orchard....Sigh. I will post pics soon. Just wanted to get this thread started.....

Finally, I will be able to contribute some experience to this forum, after coming in as a newbie and asking newbie questions....

Mary Kay

Mary Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

There must have been a water leak, that may have not been fixed properly, be sure to check the roof and around the windows.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
sam

Default Fixing water leaks in walls

See under off topic 1990 HiLo restoration. Also look at Pictures by Sam TLPX-Photo bucket. the descriptions are in red ink. Their vast differences between the Towlite and a HiLo. All windows that are ten years old need to be taken out and resealed with butyl tape and lexell caulk.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #4

Thanks Sam....LOL, we took the windows out alright.....we took everything out. Down to the frame. We even replaced most of the frame. I took pics and will post them eventually. Too busy now. I know as a newbie I would have liked to have seen what the construction of ours looked like.....

Now I know too well....

We suspect the windows to be the main culprits too. We're in a hurry as construction is due to start next week on our house, so will only do the one walll but have peeked at the others. There does not appear to be as much damage, but we do know there's some and we will remedy them eventually.

The sad thing is, I would NEVER sell it knowing there's black mold in it. The man who sold it to us knew full well. He also knew how rotten one part of it was because he squirted some sort of filler into it and covered it with a piece of aluminum, and yes, duct tape.

Black mold is carcinogenic and I could not sleep knowing I sold it to someone without telling them. I hired a friend to help me clean it when we first got it. It wasn't filthy or anything, just needed a cleaning. She's not in the best of health though, and within an hour, had an asthma attack. Now it makes sense as those with asthma cannot tolerate black mold at all. And I kept smelling a mustiness, and kept sniffing the cushions, which are actually in excellent condition.

We are going to make this camper last a very long time....if not for us, then for someone else....sigh....

Mary Kay
Mary Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
sam

Default Restoring Towlite

Just wanted to encourage you. I know you are in a hurry to fix your HiLo as you must live in it. When you took the windows out this would give you the ability to see the condition of the inside of your walls. I know the former owner "took you to the cleaners". The bottom line is everything is fixable to the do it your selfer. Just time,money and patience.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote