Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
ssa

Default 2010 front window

hello i'm new to this forum and i thinking of buying a 2010 hi lo but wondering
on how to protec the front window when traveling?

ssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #2

In my travels, I have seen travel trailers with a cover over the front window similar to what you see on the front of sports cars. Haven't seen them sold at rv stores, but any canvas shop should be able to make one up. Hope this helps.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Don't they all have the stone guard shade in the front?
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
Don't they all have the stone guard shade in the front?
I thought they did. Still, it shouldn't be hard to make one, perhaps out of fairly thin plywood. It wouldn't have to be hinged like the OEM version. Just something that's held on at the four corners.

- Jack
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssa View Post
hello i'm new to this forum and i thinking of buying a 2010 hi lo but wondering
on how to protec the front window when traveling?
On the 2010 there is no stone guard and if you are going to travel any unpaved roads something is needed. On our trip to Alaska our window would have been damaged if not destroyed. I did not have mud flaps on the truck but will on our next trip to Alaska. The window is wider and more of a curve so the guard from a previous year will not fit. Bobs idea of a fabric cover is one place to start but it should be thick. A boat canvas shop would be a place to start. Could be snapped on or maybe velcro. A fiberglass cover would not be too difficult to make but the curve of the window would require a unique hinge. I think this problem can be overcome if enough heads take this on. I did look at a 2010 at the Hi Lo rally with this problem in mind. Where are you located. Will be out of touch for a couple of days but if you need more info on where you can look to get a fix for this get back here on the forum. Also you should first contact J&R trailer repair 419-883-3001 to see if they have come up with a fix for this. You can learn more about them here on the forum. I would not let this problem stop me from buying a 2010 if I were in the market for one.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
ssa

thanks for the feed back, not sure why the Hi lo didnt provide a cover on the 2010's but it definitely needs one. I'm from Mesa Az and have been looking at the hi lo's for a while and getting closer on making a purchase
ssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
sam

Default Cover for front window

I agree with the advice to go to a canvas shop,upholstery shop or auto upholsteryrepair place. If you are handy you could get some vinyl fabric and fab one up your self. This may be one of the reasons HiLo is out of business. HiLo claims this lexin window won,t scratch. Some owners have reported the window on the front gets scratched by the prropane tank cover. When traveling other vehicles in the oposite lane reflect their headlights onto the front window causing a very glaring dangerous situation for the HiLo driver.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #8

HiLo went from a glass front window to a plexiglass front window in 2010. They felt that the plexiglass window was much stronger than the glass and would not require the stoneguard/cover. At least that is what I heard.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #9

No they did not put the stoneguard/cover on the 2010 or 2011. According to J&R they were having problems with the new designed propane tank cover rubbing on the front window and causing a large streaked line down the front window that couldn't be removed either. So when Hi-Lo was still in business they were trading out the new design propane covers with the old design covers and replacing the front window but there was no room to put the stoneguard/cover on.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #10

I'd be careful with any kind of cover that makes contact with the plastic. It will vibrate when it is in motion and wear away and frost the plastic. This is a common problem with "car-bras" that people put on the front of cars for stone guards. They don't get stone chips, but they have to pay hundreds to get the paint fixed where the fabric wore the paint down to the metal.
traverlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #11

Being an owner of a 2310H I don't feel that putting a stone guard on the front window would be of any benefit. The window is further forward than the older design trailers and to have any stones come up from the tow vehicle would be difficult. The window is made from material that is tougher than Plexiglass, it may be Lexan. You probably have a greater chance of having the side windows broken from road debris.

We had a scratch develop on the window from the bottle cover partly because of the design change, and partly due to the redesign of the bottle cover, it tapers wider at the top. Had the cover not been redesigned the scratch probably wouldn't have developed. Hi-Lo replaced the cover with the optional fiberglass cover and replaced the window. They should have caught that at the factory but I think the new bottle cover came around after the trailer had been redesigned.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #12

The Lexan window does scratch, and very easily. We covered ours with a tarp this last winter to keep the snow off and the tarp scratched the window quite a bit. I am looking into putting a "clear bra" over the entire window to protect it. This is the clear plastic that people are now putting on the front of their cars to protect the paint from rock chips. It will make looking out the window a little wavy as the plastics texture is sort of an "orange peel" effect, but it would be better than replacing the Lexan.

Terri is offline   Reply With Quote