Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 07-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Default Awning

I need to remove the awning alumi that mounts on side just below drip line on ...Its got many sq head screws every few inchs the length of awning...Got to patch the alum where it turns down on edge and then goes behind awning mount...So ? is about all those scerws Can I expect them to back out or twist off ..its a 22TD 2001 ...do they go into wood or steel...there all tite and looking good right now...Just hate to open a can of worms..or try to patch another way...without disturbing them....

Thoughts please

cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #2

Hello from Louisiana. I had to remove that drip rail (and awning too). I had some difficulty with some of them due to corrosion of the screw itself into the metal frame member that is back of it, behind the roof “roll-over”. There were a few of them that I had to drill out, several broke off when given a good ‘twist.’

You might not have the same level of corrosion though, mine was a basket case.

There are some discussions on the forum about how to replace/repair the roof material too. Depending on what you’re looking at, there are a few different ways to go about it. Some have switched to an EPDM roof with success I believe. Others have patched and re-coated the thing.

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #3

Oh thank you...I dont consider mine a basket case at all..there are only 5 or 6 small holes or coroded spots none bigger than 1/4 in in about a 5' long area..Right on edge right above the rail... and its been under cover most of its life ...And I can find no interior signs of moisture or damage...
My plan is remove awning rail clean area .I got some wide 12" Eternabond start it at bottom of where rail sits and fold it over onto roof running parallell to side...I figure 4" on side and 8 " folded over on roof for about 6'...Then put butyl tape on and re install rail ...Then run another 12" wide strip overlaping the first strip a couple inches and goin farther up roof.
Being rail screws are into steel maybe most will come out and have to drill a few...

thx again
Old 07-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Big "O", when you find a screw that's a bit difficult to remove, try tightening it a bit, just to free it. Then loosen as normal.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #5

Thx more great info
Old 10-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #6

Well if it ever quits raining here I might get to do something,,It rained or showered ever day in Sept...FIL died in Calif and that took up3 weeks+....Yesterday sun came out for about 4 hours.I threw back tarp and took out every other screw holding Awning Rail with no problem (no rust/no twist off) so I guess I answered my own ????..Had to cover it up due to shower..We're forcast at least 50% rain next 10 days...UGGG
Old 10-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #7

Quit rain for 3d now..Got screws and awning rail and awning offf alls well...so far cleaning butyl goo off ..Esp rail after getting bulk goo off.."I found that WD40 cleans the residual glue off like magic."..
so gota remove wd40 residue planning simple green and then acetone
Old 10-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Site Team

cva34, Last thing I do before applying butyl tape is wipe the area down with rubbing alcohol, just my 2 cents.
How's everything else going?
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote