Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 05-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #1

Default cap cracks

cracks from cold weather over winter. I can epoxy them to fill them in but color will be funky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (55.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.jpg (35.6 KB, 45 views)

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Site Team

I wonder if you took the caps off and then patched them on the inside with fiberglass, if it would work, and look, better?

- Jack

Old 05-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #3

@Jack
That WOULD be the correct way to do it. However, it would be a large project for me right now and as we like to say up here, " We have 9 months of winter and three months of bad sledding". So, I'm going to want to focus on getting on the road as soon and as much as I can. Plus- I dont have a really good place to do it right now. I may in the fall. Either way- the cracks are pretty good and almost to the point where it almost looks like something hit it and shattered it. Reinforcing with fiberglass on both sides (if this were a canoe) would be the most responsible way to approach it. But even then, sanding and then painting would never look exactly right. That said, I may just put on glass patch on the front side and go with that until I can get it off and do it more substantially. Thats a good suggestion. Thanks

Rick

4x4
Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

If it were mine I would just use some sillicone and then a permanent fix this fall.
At least sillocone is temporary if need be.

Rick
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #5

Rick

Thats another good idea. I may try that in the short haul- . It seems I remember a thread where people were drilling to stop the cracks from going further and then caulking. ??

rick

4x4
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Site Team

Yes, do a stop drill hole at the ends of the cracks. It shouldn't have to be too large, maybe 3/32 or at most, 1/8". You just want to keep the cracking stress from being concentrated at the end "point" of the crack. Of course, if the crack has reached the edge of the plastic, it's too late.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #7

Unfortunately, It may have reached where the window goes in and, I just pulled that last summer and re-sealed it (sigh). But, looks like I may do that again. Either way-I may mess with this stuff.

WEST SYSTEM | Specialty Epoxies - G/flex

I'm pretty enamored with it and use it all the time on surfaces that get wet and flex-and this is certainly such a surface. I havent tried coloring it with white gel coat color and I dont know as that would work. But at its worse I can sand and paint it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rick

4x4
Old 07-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #8

Was doing a roof inspection today and found two areas that are cracked on the plastic front cap. It appears the cracks originated at two different spots where the end cap is screwed or riveted to the roof- hard to tell because it's covered in roof sealant. The cracks are making their way down the front towards the front window but thankfully haven't made it very far yet. I'll go ahead and drill a hole where they terminate to hopefully stop them in their tracks. Thankfully again, no rain in site here in parched California.

Suggestions on a good roof sealant are appreciated!

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote