Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 06-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

Default Caulking and other stuff

I wanted to caulk around all the windows just to make sure my 87 FunChaser is leak proof. Should I remove the old caulk first or just caulk on top of what's there? One thing I don't want to do is make things worse...or cause a leak...

Also, am I supposed to grease the rails or is WD40 okay to use? I just feel like it needs something....

Thanks!
Pame

weldonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #2

If the caulking is loose and cracked, then you want to remove as much as possible. If the caulking still looks great, then just a light coat over the top works well.

The guide rails should be lubricated with a dry lubricant such as teflon. My spray teflon left a white haze so carefull with the spray or look for a clear lubricant. Do not use graphite as it will come out of the can charcoal grey.

Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #3

If you search back to an earlier thread, the guys at J & R said to use a piece of paraffin on the rail. I think a variety of things work well. The important thing is to use something. Also, don't forget about cleaning and lubing the guide rod on a regular basis.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

um...guide rod? Help me out here, pal. I have no manual; I have no experience; and although I pride myself in being mechanically inclined, I haven't exactly crawled around under there yet.
weldonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

The guide rod is the rod that is mounted parallel to the hydraulic piston that lifts the top. Look near the curb side wheels and you will see it, it looks like a long piece of smooth rebar. It must be kept clean and lubed, if not you can risk bending the piston. Periodically clean the rod and put any good grease on it. While you are under there, clean and lube the cables and pulleys. Check for any wear or fraying.

There are many posts about it here. Look at:Hydraulic lift system - Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum

I should add that there are manuals listed here that can give you some instruction, it doesn't have to be year or model specific.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote