Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 03-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Default DIY Back-up Camera on HiLo

I put a back-up camera on my 2307C this summer and had the first trip with it this winter. It worked great and helped to make my backing up MUCH better. Made my wife's job (guiding me back) a lot easier too. So now when we get to our camping site, I swap the camera connectors and hook up the HiLo camera before I back into our spot. Between my wife and the camera, I can tell much better where the trailer is, how to steer it, and when to stop.
Some details:
* I got the TV used and there was no back-up camera. After I drove it 1X, I knew I needed the back-up camera to be comfortable about backing-up. I got the kit (display mirror and camera) off E-bay. I installed it myself, put in an extra switch to be able to activate the camera when no in reverse, and put in connectors near the rear bumper (with the idea of installing a camera on the HiLo later). The hardest part was figuring out the wiring in the truck wiring harness (Toyota does not use standard color code for wiring!) and the tight working space in the overhead console for the extra switch.
* I got the trailer back-up camera from Amazon, attached some longer leads (some old speaker wire I had), routed it under the trailer to the front, and terminated it with some matching connectors to the TV back-up camera.
* I store the terminated ends under the propane tank cover with spare connectors plugged in to protect them from the weather and road grime when not in use.
* I am still working on remembering to hook up the trailer camera while towing, but when I do, I use the extra switch to see what is going on behind the trailer. I found it very comforting when something small, like a motorcycle or small car, is hanging in back off me.

Darryl

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Default rear camera

CamperD, Glad to hear everything is working regarding the back-up camera. Just got mine from Amazon. Arrived three days early. Made by Rear View Safety. Saw it on another post. Got up early this morning, read the booklet, and started the layout. TV first, check. Wired it all together as suggested in the back of the TV. Worked perfect!! At the Hi LO, laid out the wire path, way more than enough cable, and armed with a bundle of wire ties, I set to work. Says all you need to do is drill a 3/4" hole in the TV as needed, good thing I had a step drill bit cause the socket is much larger than 3/4". Got all the wiring run and Mother Nature said "Treeclimber, don't drill the mounting hole just yet!!! I'm gonna make it rain for a while!" So I'm waiting. Can't mow the grass or trim the palms, so, thought I'd check out who's doing what. Another neat thing about this system, it has audio! Now I can SEE my spotter and HEAR her. Add the supplied connector and a DVD player and Voila! a night at the movies! Aren't these cameras great!

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:56 PM   #3

Default back up camera

Hi,
I am installing a back up camera on my Towlite. I want to run the wire under the trailer but there are moving parts. How did you run the wire under the trailer and avoid the moving parts? I mounted my camera off of the spare tire mount. I decided to not drill holes in the trailer. Thanks for your help. I want to hit the road soon.
lincow Las Vegas NV
2202 Towlite
lincow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #4

Lincow,
I don't understand what you mean by "moving parts". I used those zip ties to secure the camera wires that ran from the camera (in the back) to the front end. I just ran the wires over the axles and along the same route as the propane gas line. Just use the zip ties to keep the wires tucked out of the way and prevent them from getting snagged.
camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
Site Team

Lincow, I also had no problems running wires with the frame. On my 240U, there was a tubular frame member on the curbside that allowed me to run the cable INSIDE the tube. and I wire tied where ever possible. I leave mine on constantly, and feel much more secure knowing there's nothing hiding behind me. Makes lane changes a lot safer. And I can actually see the people IN the vehicle behind. It does get a bit fuzzy in the rain, when water gets on the lens but I can still see the headlights. I'm real happy!
tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote