Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 04-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
sam

Default Door opens when traveling.

Pat, I went over to my HiLo. Here are the pictures of the striker plates and locks. The bottom striker plate is the one that I have more of.

DSCN0831.jpg

DSCN0830.jpg

DSCN0832.jpg

DSCN0833.jpg

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

Sam Thankyou for your efforts in helping me. Yes my striker plate should be identical to the one you posted in your pics. Eurica, Here is my dilemma, notice I said my striker plate should be the same. I'm guessing the original owner cut away the thin piece of metal where the latch actually strikes, because that part is missing. An easy fix should be to just flip the striker plate around. Which I did, however it then became evident why someone cut that piece away. The door will not even latch closed because the metal is in the way and makes it too thick for the latch to grasp. Strange that I never had the door swing open before while in transit.

Also it is another testament to how well that trailer is made. All that pulling I was doing to try and get the door to open without properly using the handle. I was just pulling against the skin on the frame. No damage and the door held shut. So unless you striker plate is made slightly thinner than the original it wouldn't work. If it is thinner I would love to have one.

I notice you added the top lock, I may do that. I guess you got that at an rv place?

Edit to add, silly me I can grind it thinner if it is too thick. Yes please may I have one?

1985 Funmaker 19R
2004 Chevy Avalanche. Z66
My name is Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #3
sam

Default Door comes open while traveling.

We didn't add any locks. The trailer came this way when we bought it used. I believe this is the way it came when manufactured. I will send you a striker plate. Please send me a PM with your full name and address.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
We didn't add any locks. The trailer came this way when we bought it used. I believe this is the way it came when manufactured. I will send you a striker plate. Please send me a PM with your full name and address.
Already did, hope you got it. . Thanks again!

1985 Funmaker 19R
Old 04-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
sam

Default Your striker plate is in the mail.

DH went to the post office for me today. Your package should arrive in seven days. I hope this solves your door coming open in transit.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
DH went to the post office for me today. Your package should arrive in seven days. I hope this solves your door coming open in transit.
Sam the plate arrived, I attached it and it works perfectly sitting in the driveway. The old one was too thick and the door wouldn't even close. I showed the wife and daughter both exclaimed how nice is that. We are just thrilled not only for the plate but as my daughter stated "wow how nice is that, how nice is that. There really are nice people in the world. Thanks again Sam!!

image.jpg

1985 Funmaker 19R
Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
sam

Default Glad the striker plate arrived.

Seems like the striker plate arrived sooner than the post office said. DH is a retired sheet metal fabricator and had these made up at work. Our HiLo dealer doesn't even have a source for these parts. I don't think JR in Ohio has them. Glad I could help out. Let me know if it works while you are on the road. Hopefuly,the weather will turn nice and we can go camping. We are going out with our HiLo Club May 13,14.15-2016. Plan B. I have plenty of firewood to keep us warm!!
Old 04-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #8

Nice gong, Sam!

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
sam

Default Lock striker plate.

Nurses are a helpful profession. That would be me(sam).
Old 05-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Seems like the striker plate arrived sooner than the post office said. DH is a retired sheet metal fabricator and had these made up at work. Our HiLo dealer doesn't even have a source for these parts. I don't think JR in Ohio has them. Glad I could help out. Let me know if it works while you are on the road. Hopefuly,the weather will turn nice and we can go camping. We are going out with our HiLo Club May 13,14.15-2016. Plan B. I have plenty of firewood to keep us warm!!
It works Sam! 2hr., 180km trip, the door never opened. Yay, thanks again kiddo!

1985 Funmaker 19R
Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
sam

Default Door striker plate worked.

You put a smile on my face. Glad it worked for you. Yesterday was a rough day for us. The neighbors called the police because we legally parked our HiLo on the street to wash it. They threatened to vandalize it and parked their car in front of it. Stated they won't let us hitch up and go camping. The lady moved her car tonight and most of the available parking was taken by other cars. I'll call the police if necessary. Some people just aren't nice. These folks have parking in back of their house. It can have three cars in it. Going to be cold in the 50s this weekend. I have plenty of firewood.