Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

Default End Cap Sealing

Hi all,

While washing the trailer the other day, I noticed that the sealant that seals the front end cap to the exterior side wall is coming loose. It appears to be a clear silicone type material. Any recommendations on a sealer for this application?

Thanks,

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Hi all,

While washing the trailer the other day, I noticed that the sealant that seals the front end cap to the exterior side wall is coming loose. It appears to be a clear silicone type material. Any recommendations on a sealer for this application?

Thanks,
Clean the old sealant off as best you can. Go to a ACE hardware and get a tube of Lexell sealant and recaulk. They make it in clear and white. Google Lexell sealant and read the tech data. Reseal around your windows and other trim as water can leak by the factory seals.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
Clean the old sealant off as best you can. Go to a ACE hardware and get a tube of Lexell sealant and recaulk. They make it in clear and white. Google Lexell sealant and read the tech data. Reseal around your windows and other trim as water can leak by the factory seals.
I've ordered the Lexel from Amazon and it should be arriving by Tuesday. What is the recommended way to clean old sealant off of fiberglass without damaging it? Are mineral spirits OK?

Thanks,
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #4

Greg, mineral spirits won't hurt the fiberglass, but it won't cut any type of sealant either. Actually mineral spirits (paint thinner, or Exxon's brand name of Varsol) won't even cut simple household window caulk when it's dried. Test a small area and make sure your cleaner isn't harming the finish ON the fiberglass however.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
sam

Default cleaner to remove silicone

Brother-in-law is an electronic techinican. His place of employment buys 55gal. drums of 91% alcohol to remove silicone and other material.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

To remove old caulking I use a blade with a handle( carefully,this takes a while so you don't scratch the fiberglass)

The knife/blade I use I found on amazon and I use it everyday for work in the HVAC trade is the Everhard MK46000 long cut ( it has a 3 sided tappering blade which makes removing clauking easy)

Then I use, Goo Gone (not goof off) using a terricloth rag, it's a citrus base cleaner that doesn't hurt the fiberglass to remove the rest of the caulking. I wipe down the cleaned areas with a damp terricloth rag to remove any left over Goo Gone for preping of the new caulk.

I use sikaflex 1a for caulking the trailer, I have used this product in the HVAC trade for over 20 years and have had good luck with it

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote