Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 07-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Exterior Gray Paint

Does anyone know what the color code is for the gray exterior color? I have a 2207 and have tried several Rustoleum gray paints and can't get a good match. I've got a couple of areas in back where the top rubbed on the hatch cover and would like to keep ahead on the maintenance.

Thanks

Ralph

rgelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Wouldn't a "color code" only make sense to Hi-Lo (or to an automotive manufacturer like Ford or GM if Hi-Lo used that manufacturer's paints)? Many paint shops can custom mix rattle cans of paint for you if you take in a section like maybe a door) so they can "scan" the color. I think the cost for this is in the $30 range.

Possibly the only other solution would be to paint the entire section, or, come up with an interesting "two-tone" pattern that would cover the damaged area.

- Jack

Old 07-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #3

Thanks Jack

I can take a hatch cover in and see about a match. I don't want to have a mixtures of colors on the trailer. My thought on the color code was that HiLo would use a commonly available paint so its dealerships could do repairs and keep the cost down. I don't even know if all of the HiLo's have the same color scheme.
rgelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgelvin View Post
Thanks Jack

I can take a hatch cover in and see about a match. I don't want to have a mixtures of colors on the trailer. My thought on the color code was that HiLo would use a commonly available paint so its dealerships could do repairs and keep the cost down. I don't even know if all of the HiLo's have the same color scheme.
You may have a point. If you bought your trailer from a dealer that (used to *sigh*) sell new Hi-Los, that would be a good question to put to them.

Even if you didn't buy yours at one of these places, there's probably one you could call.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

Default paint codes

All paint is made with a code. That specific code dictates the mixture of different colors to produce the final outcome color.
That way if you are painting a hi-lo in calif using one brand of paint it will still very closely match a different brand in ny.
As mentioned you can take in a sample of existing but where are you going to get a sample that can be removed and re-installed. Computer matches have become much better recently, but by the "code" is preferable for the best match for same as new.
High gloss, flat, satin, etc are another difference that need to be accommodated for also.
I have several areas on my 1985 that are in need of freshening up but only on the top half of the trailer. The accent stripes/vinyl decals are peeling and missing in several areas and I wish to clean it all up and make the same.
I will be purchasing some "aircraft decal and vinyl remover" to remove the accent stripes and just paint the body color over. Accent stripe removal will leave a shadow in the body paint, where the paint has been covered for so long it will be different.
Then have the auto paint store make several rattle cans with the coded color.
I was hoping that the forum had the code. Will send an email to JR for code and share when info rec'd.

steve
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #6

The HiLo paint code will do you no good. I had a spray can of HiLo touch up paint that came with my trailer. It was made by Sherwin-Williams. I went to my local Sherwin-Williams store to get some spray cans made up. They had no such listing for the HiLo numbers on the can. They made several calls to other stores to no avail. Said I would have to take the can in to their automotive paint store. They would then scan the paint color and make it up from there. On the later model HiLo's, the color is in the plastic that forms the skirting. It is not painted on. Don't know what year they started that.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
sam

Default Matching paint colors

It is a good idea to pull a door or other item for a paint match. I would still not expect the paint to perfectly match due to sun and weather exposure.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #8

I rec'd an email from Rob @ jr and they weren't painted. So, no paint code. It was on the metal when hi-lo rec'd the panels from the manufacturer.
He also mentioned S Williams for paint.
27 years of harsh calif and nevada sun have for sure lightened mine.
No problem.
steve
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Site Team

I suspect the grey color you're talking about is something like "anodizing", which is not paint. (I think you're referring to the color on the lower skirting?)

Duplicolor makes a fairly close matching metallic grey color that you could probably get away with.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #10

I finally found my can of HiLo paint. This gray paint came with my 2001 Classic. The can shows all the info on it. As per my previous post, the code number will do you no good.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiLo Paint 001.jpg (81.4 KB, 29 views)
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I suspect the grey color you're talking about is something like "anodizing", which is not paint. (I think you're referring to the color on the lower skirting?)

Duplicolor makes a fairly close matching metallic grey color that you could probably get away with.

- Jack
The anodize gray alumium skirting, does anyone know where I purchase it so I can replace sections that where damaged by road hazzards (semi-truck tire tread) I'm in the sheetmetal trade but my suppliers only offer painted alumium that isn't the correct shade of gray and flat in color not gloss. My next option is to add some bright alumium diamond plate.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote