Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 07-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default exterior paint

My 1993 is in need of painting, the finish on the top half is all but gone. When I clean it I can start to see the glass fibers. Has anyone considered painting their with a roller? Is it even possible? I won't be able to afford the materials to have it sprayed with automotive paints let alone the labor costs but it needs protected.
Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

David

Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #2

David, I spent quite a few years doing auto body work, enough that the current prices of paint and labor shock me
I would get a couple gallons of Rustoleum in the color of your choice and have at it. I don't see where it would hurt the value, but it would enhance the appearance, and going down the road at 50 MPH no one will notice the roller marks. You could apply some rustoleum primer, or if you only have a few bare spots the light gray spray primer from one of the dollar stores would spot repair.
Pressure wash it good before starting and of course let it dry well. (if it has been waxed you should use some silicone and wax remover before painting)
I actually did this to an old car I had to remove the vinyl roof from and it looked OK.
When you get to a certain point (if you are not doing a restoration) all you need is nice and function-able.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #3

David, I just retired (sold out) as a 30 year industrial paint/blast contractor. If you choose to do this, first and foremost is use a material recommended by your friendly paint store....please not HD or Lowe's. Next, stick with a mohair or foam roller cover and don't try to paint in the sun or with any breeze to speak of. Also remember that any spot-priming you may do will likely show up after the first coat in a ever-so-slightly different sheen. Maybe prepare to do two light coats. Keep this in mind: Prepare, prepare, prepare. Do your cut-in first and keep it very narrow. Have about a 3x3 area you try this on and see what you think.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

I rolled my 1985. used kelly-moore acrylic enamel house paint.
the closest color to original is "barely khaki".
you can't tell the difference in color.

I would do your roof first with a sealant etc. then on to the top half.
I only painted the top half.

been on my trlr for 3 years and 15k+ miles with no issues.
I did no prep other than a good wash, and spot bubble sanding.

the name of the trlr is moyes...not the brand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0080.jpg (84.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0250.jpg (100.4 KB, 50 views)
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Thanks for the tips, I knew that it could be done. I didn't wax it this year because I knew that I had to do something with it. I don't want it rot away to nothing, she is still in good shape besides the fiberglass finish. I'll keep you all posted on the progress though I will not be starting it for a little while. I was doing my do diligence to research first. I typically use Sherwin Williams paints for my projects, I build schools for a living.
Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
sam

Default Painting trailer

Thanks for all the good advice. Our exterior fiber glass on the classic is showing its age(1990). Maybe next year we can tackle a DIY self paint job. I have read where many are using barkeepers friend to remove wax from trailers. This is a no scratch powder that can be purchased at Walmart. It cost $2.00 in the cleaning products isle. It has many other uses as per the label instructions. Be sure to rinse extremely well. I use it on my kitchen sink as it removes black marks from my white sink with out scratching.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote