Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #1

Default Factory changing the type of Foam seal they use

Went to my local dealer today (Dillons RV) to get a piece of the foam seal that is used all around the two halfs of the Hi-Lo.. The piece that is on my screen door has cracked on the end , exposing the foam inside. The Dealer says just this month Hi-LO has changed the type of seal they use , and gone to a all rubber style. I think this is good news, out here in the west with the high heat the plastic covering on the foam type seal can get hard and crack. Here is a picture of the old piece off my Hi-Lo and a piece of the new type seal. I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hi-lo seal.jpg (84.3 KB, 290 views)

455lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #2

Are the seals easy to replace yourself. I just bought a 1995 18' Towlite and some of the seals need to be replaced. Do most RV centers carry these seals? I live in Las Vegas and have the desert heat thing as well.

legomiego76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #3

I have only replaced the piece on the screen door so far. It was not to bad , drill out the rivets , take the old one out , lay the new one in between the two plates and rivet it togeather .
Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

I spoke to Tom Stacey at the Hi-Lo factory today, about replacing the roof seal. He told me that when a new seal is needed, Hi-Lo is recommending the new design seal as a replacement, even on the older models. Tom said that it's an improvement over the original seal.

I asked how hard it was to replace the seal, he said that it's a pretty big job, and that it takes an experienced Hi-Lo technician a full day to change one, and that's if everything goes as planned. On price, it depends on the trailer and if the seal is the only thing needed. For our 2201TL, the price to have Hi-Lo change the seal would be $1250

Neal
Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #5

What is the seal called? Where is it manufactured (ie. available)?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
What is the seal called? Where is it manufactured (ie. available)?
I don't know what the actual seal material is called, Tom said that the materal was like the seals around the doors of your car. As far as where is it available from, you can buy it directly from Hi-Lo, they will sell you any of the Hi-Lo parts. Just tell them that you want the seal that goes between the roof and the lower part of the trailer. I didn't ask how much the seal was, but they are reasonable on their parts.

Neal
Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #7

I paid about $3.00 a foot for the new seal from my local dealer
Old 04-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #8

Would be nice if thay had some available at this years rally
Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #9

Hello, I am looking to pick up a section of the new seal and wondered if you can tell me what the dimensions are for the new bulb seal. It looks like the new seal is still a round seal with a tab off of it but like it may be somewhat larger diameter. The dimensions I am looking for are the diameter of the bulb part and the overall width of the seal and tab.

Thanks, Ken
kenw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #10

Default Hi-Lo Door Seal

Is the factory still going to sell these parts? If not, where else can I get the door seal? Is it the same seal for the rest of the trailer.
MSwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #11

I am sure J&R sales listed in this forum has it. Yes it is the same all over the trailer for this seal.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #12

Check the previous posts on J&R Repair in Butler, Ohio. They will have the seals you need.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #13

Talking Newer Style Bulb Seal Measurements

I just received my factory replacement parts. When I heard of Hi-Lo closeing shop, I rushed to order some parts that are used only on hi-lo trailers. Lifting cables, extra cable pulley wheels, door hinges, and newer style bulb seal. The bulb seal measures: O.D. of Bulb is 13/16" , Length of tab is 1" , overall mearsurement is 1 13/16" .
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
sam

Default Replacing seal

I hope you are right about our cables may never need to be replaced.11 We have some bad delamination that we are just using the trailer as is.. Maybe some day we,ll be able to upgrade to one with a tip out. We've replaced the ref.and the air conditioner. My husband is a handy sheet metal fabricator/semi retired. We just love the layout and the decor of our HiLo..I understand that HiLo had trouble in the 90's with the wavy fiberglass sides/delamination.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #15

$2.50 a foot per j&r
bluewindsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
sam

Default Replacing door seal

We had to replace the door seal and the seal on our outside water heater door. We used a roll of foam insulation and this was covered by some lt.blue vinyl upholestery that I had left over from another project. We used screws and some rivits. In a couple of days it will be 70 degrees and I will go where the trailer is parked and take some pictures. Kind of hard to explain. Today it is 45degrees and rather windy and it feels much colder. We have a 90 HiLo classic. I think I have some fabric left that I could send with someone that is going to the rally in June. If you can use the newer bulb seal do this it isn;t all that expensive.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #17

Just ordered the "Bulb Seal" from Hi-lo Parts.
Bulb Seal - The Official HiLo Trailer Parts & Service
This could be a challenge and I hope I'm up to it! The advised that installation instructions are included.

2004 27T
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
We had to replace the door seal and the seal on our outside water heater door. We used a roll of foam insulation and this was covered by some lt.blue vinyl upholestery that I had left over from another project. We used screws and some rivits. In a couple of days it will be 70 degrees and I will go where the trailer is parked and take some pictures. Kind of hard to explain. Today it is 45degrees and rather windy and it feels much colder. We have a 90 HiLo classic. I think I have some fabric left that I could send with someone that is going to the rally in June. If you can use the newer bulb seal do this it isn;t all that expensive.
I'm definitely interested in seeing these pics; I'm somewhat concerned about the idea of replacing this seal -

Lloyd - any chance you'd be willing to post the details on the replacement instructions? I'm curious about them. Might already be posted in the library section; haven't looked just yet.

cptmoney is offline   Reply With Quote