Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Default Is the window inside your door too small?

I noticed on my 2002 towlight 22' that the window has dropped down till there is about an inch gap between the top of the glass and the plastic surround of the window, allowing rain to get in if I'm not carefull. I can push it up slightly but it slides back down. I am planning on removing the window and having a new piece cut that is longer but am hoping it's something else that I can fix on my own.

Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #2

Caution on the glass, I think that the window uses tempered glass for safety. Using regular window glass is not safe for use in doors. I don't think the glass is the problem, rather it must be the mounting that holds it in place.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
sam

Default Glass slipping dow in towlite door

Consultated with Mr. fix it as we have had to rebuild our rotted exterior door. He thinks as you take the door apart you will discover the reason the glass shifted. Something broke? You can always consult with a glass shop or Rv place. I don't dought you will be able to solve this on your own. I haven't figured out yet what we do with all the $ we save doing most of our own repairs!! lol.Maybe we use our savings for camping fees,propane ,gas ect. or buying an occasional RV accessory from the want list.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

Thanks RichR and Sam. I guess the only thing to do is tear it apart and see what the issue is.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #5

Fireball,

The window in the upper door sits in a big piece of styrofoam. The sides of the door are pieces of 2" x 2" (approx). The top consists of 3 pieces of wood to form the curved top. The bottom board is approx 2" x 10". The styrofoam fits into the center of this wooden frame. The plastic window frame helps to hold the glass in place. I had to rebuild my upper door a while back.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default door glass repair

I just repaired the same problem on my 22 L, you have to take apart the window frame from the inside of the door, clean all surfaces of the glass and inside and outside door frames, then i sealed the glass to the outside frame(there were small tabs to hold the glass in the correct position) and gently clamped the frame and glass together until the caulk cured, about 24 hours.
then i caulked the inside of the glass, assembled the glass and frame in the door and screwed the frames together, then recaulked the frames to ensure a good seal. when i took my glass frames apart, 3 of my tabs were broke on the bottom of the frames, so i hot glued them back in place, then hot glued all the the guide holes in the frames for more support. I hope this helps you
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #7

Awesome robobd! That helps immensly. I haven't pulled the window apart yet but need to make sure the weather cooperates so I can have it apart for a few days. I think I'll use silicone as I have a new tube of it ready to go.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
sam

Default Window repair

Now that we are in a rotten five day rain pattern you may want to do your window repair and tape plastic over the opening. Another good use for duct tape. Don't know if you could use butyl tape in your repair/good stuff. Hubby had to tape our outside air conditioner hole to prevent rain from getting in. Couldn't work on our HiLo today as this was the last day for our contractor. Now the huge clean up begins!!!! Only one week before my Rotater cuff surgery. I,m hoping for the short version. Clean up the area and only be in the sling for one week. Long version is 4 to 6 weeks in a sling and physical surgery.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #9

Default Glass on door repair

We repaired our door with same problem had to replace plastic frame inside and out because it was also cracked. Used weather stip and caulking cord, plus silicone around glass this is what the instructions said that came with the parts. Cost was around $25. Took about and hour and two people to do it.