Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

Default Lighted Assist Bar Cover

My daughter and son-in-law just purchased a new-to-them 1989 22' Funchaser. The assist bar to the left of the door is lighted. The plastic cover is super worn and we are looking to replace it. I've done several searches in the web and the lowest price in the U.S. is around $34......WOW! This piece can be found for less in Australia. Shipping would probably cost some $$$$.

Here's a pic of the assist bar which I think is pretty common on Hi-Lo and other trailers. The manufacturer is Bargman Company (#70-32-001, #70-32-002). The lens cover is #70-32-030 and I think this uses a #1141 bulb.

assist bar with plastic cover......really worn. When I tried to clean it the plastic comes off.

plastic cover removed. It's a small piece of plastic.

assist bar with plastic cover removed.

Any ideas where I can get this piece for less than $10-$20 USD?

89Hilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
sam

Default Assist bar and replacement plastic cover.

Take the plastic cover off and it looks like the assist fixture has screws. Remove the assist assembly and spraypaint brown. A new plastic lens cover can be purchased from Jay Simon at Mantelli trailer sales. Mantelli trailer sale1-716-625-8877. Much cheaper to do this repair than to purchase a new one.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #3

Sent them an email on their site. No reply. Guess I will call them to see it they have that part.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

Default Cover

I replaced my cover just this fall, had the same problem with the lens being oxidized from the sun. I purchased one from the local RV dealer for just a couple dollars, I would think most RV dealers/parts stores should have them as they are a fairly common lens cover. If you can't find one for a decent price, let me know and I will pick you one up here and mail it to you.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

We replaced ours this fall also. Wander around most most any camper store or rv center and they should have one. As I recall there are 2 or 3 sizes, but you have the part number so way ahead of where I was . You sure the fixture needs paint? Kind of looks like old wax or water crud on the fixture, a little cleaner or NuFinish or something like that might clean it up. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

Thank you so very much for the offer rooster!!! There are lots of trailer places here in Houston. I guess I'll just have to drive to get it. No problem.

rrbusb, the lens is in bad shape. When I tried to remove the crud from the lens with my fingernail, it removed the plastic. It's white all the way down to the bottom.

I will search locally to find that piece. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #7

Well to tell the truth the previous owner replaced the lens with tinfoil,so no numbers and just a guess as to what it looked like. Not much for a light, but made a great shade :-) .
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
sam

Default Lens cover for light bar assist.

If anyone needs a lens cover for your outside light and can't find one at your local Rv store then contact Mantelli Trailer sales and they will mail it to you. They carry many HiLo trailer parts. Sometimes I have them mail parts to me rather then making 1 1/2 hr. trip. Jay in parts at 1-716-625-8877.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
If anyone needs a lens cover for your outside light and can't find one at your local Rv store then contact Mantelli Trailer sales and they will mail it to you. They carry many HiLo trailer parts. Sometimes I have them mail parts to me rather then making 1 1/2 hr. trip. Jay in parts at 1-716-625-8877.
Sam, thanks for the help!!!! Jay at Mantelli Trailer really went the extra mile for me. He found 2 light covers at another retailer and put them on hold for me.

Bubbie, thanks for the ebay link. I paid under $5 for each cover with Jay's help. You can't beat that price. I saw them for as high as $30+ each.

You don't see that happening much in today's business world. Great customer service. I will definitely be sending him future business.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
sam

Default Finding your light cover.

Glad Jay was able to help you. He has gone the extra mile for us many times.We also had to change this part out and he had it in stock. I bet if you paint the brown metal it will come out looking brand new. Jay is fabulous with answering trouble shooting questions. Steve Brendel is the service manager and he is a great resource. This dealership has a huge internet business and will ship parts anywhere. Mantelli trailer sales 1-716-625-8877. This time of a year is their off season and a good time to get your questions answered.