Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 05-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

Default Need to fix or replace front panel

I have a 2008 HiLo 15T. The front exterior covering/panel has developed a 8-10" long crack beginning where it meets the roof and runs down vertically. The material of the cover/panel appears to be plastic; a similar crack had been repaired prior to my purchase (2016). The repair appears to have been made by using a rubber patch likely designed for use on rubber roofing. I'm thinking of using the same material, but am unsure if it will adhere properly on plastic. Also, I'm thinking of sealing the crack first (or, perhaps, only) with with a 2-part putty used for such cracks. Any experience/recommendations on a course of action?

Can I fix this? If so, how? If not, where would I go to get a replacement panel (the installation looks fairly easy)?

Thanks, Jerry

goyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Jerry - I think you can get a replacement cap from J&R in Ohio, but it will be pricey. The cracks can be repaired though, and that's what I'd do.

You need to stop drill the ends of any cracks that are progressing into the cap to stop that progress. As I recall, I've used 1/8" drill bits to do this. Then, you would reinforce the cracked area with your choice of mending materials. Many people have used fiberglass with Bondo and if the patch were applied on the inside, it would be invisible. I believe though, that the cap is made of ABS plastic and I've found that ABS cracks are easily repaired with ABS cement and fiberglass cloth. You can just paint the area with the ABS cement, apply the fiberglass and then paint over with more ABS.

I've used the ABS technique on my waste pipes and the repair has been trouble-free.

I would not use a rubber repair patch on this material. And, I'd remove and replace any that were there before you bought the trailer.

The smallish cracks I've had in my caps were simply filled with Lexel caulk after I stop drilled them. Again, no further problems.

I'm going to combine the other thread you started on this topic with this one, since this is the place you will get useful thoughts.

- Jack

Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #3

Thank you very much for your response, Jack! I'm concerned that the situation may require more than some crack repair. To explain - the cracks are appearing at the points where the cap is screwed onto the trailer roof, thus effectively separating the cap from the roof at these points. Between the screw points at the seam where the cap meets the roof, there is some buckling occurring, thus separating the caulk and pulling the cap free of the roof. I'm thinking that perhaps the only solution may be to use a heavy dose of some caulk that would adhere to both the ABS and the rubber on the roof and would cure solid enough to apply liberally and, hopefully, secure the cap onto the roof permanently. What do you think?

Jerry
Old 05-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Jerry, I understand your concern, but I think you are making too much of what appears to be serious damage. I don't think what you are seeing is more than just a bit over being "cosmetic" damage.

Consider: The cap is secured to the front (and the rear) of the trailer by numerous screws all around. There is NO mechanical stress on the caps that would cause them to separate from the trailer and fall off. However, ABS DOES warp and possibly shrink over time, and, it is effected to an extent by the sun's UV rays. This change in shape, and possibly brittleness, is what has led to the cracking you see, and, to the separation of the cap from the shape of the roof. Cracking is just a "feature" of plastic that is subject to repeated flexing stress.

So, to reiterate - I'd stop drill all the cracks and then, reinforce them in whatever way you wish. If I used the ABS repair I mentioned earlier, I'd take the cap off and apply the fiberglass to the inside, since the ABS cement is black.

Yes, you would want to caulk the seam where the cap meets the roof, but this is to prevent water entry. Again, the material of choice in this forum appears to be Lexel caulk, which I've found at ACE, as well as online. I've used Lexel along a seam at the rear of my trailer and was very impressed with how well it worked. No one here will recommend silicone caulk for this purpose, so don't even think of it. Lexel comes in white and clear.

Possibly, painting the outside of the cap with an exterior paint suitable for plastics would help to minimize further UV damage, I think other members have painted their trailers and they may join this discussion with recommendations.

Again - keep in mind that the cap is not really a structural element of the top. It is mostly cosmetic.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #5

Thank you VERY much, Jack, for your knowledgeable and understandable advice! I appreciate it very much!

Jerry
Old 05-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #6
Site Team

You're most welcome, Jerry.

Actually, I was hoping some others would add to this discussion. Right now, you have only my opinion, which I think is right, but since I'm not infallible, it would help to have some thoughts on this by some of the rest of the group too.

So, anyone reading this thread, please jump right in! If I'm wrong, don't hesitate to set me straight. Our goal is to help our fellow campers, not to protect anyone's ego.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #7

The Cap is ABS plastic. Only epoxy will bond long term. find a West Marine store and purchase the brand they carry ( sorry I cannot think of the brand off hand). I have used Harbor Freights epoxy and it is not a good fix for our needs. the best long term fix is to reinforce the inside if the crack with fiberglass cloth and or (clean) popicle sticks.

Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote