Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Default Need help on awning brackets

I have a 1998 22' Towlite and my problem is the rear lower awning bracket is coming off were the bolts have pulled through. It looks like the last owners had the same problem and moved the awning bracket over and used clear silicone to seal between bracket and camper ledge. any idea's on how to fix it right ?

lonestar106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Is the wood rotted out where you are anchoring?
The bottom "band" of the top half will often fall victim to water damage and ultimately rot, this could be the problem.

Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
sam

Default Awning bracket repair

This answer was given br Sam Shields a Retired HiLo service manager.The awning screws go into a strip of wood.If the wood is to damaged to bad for the screws to reatach the bracket.Try bolting the bracket to a flat piece of metal long enough to reach past the bad wood on each side and screw to good wood. I have used this procedure mant times and you end up with a working repair that does not look bad. I suggest you paint the metal white so that it does not rust. Thanks Sam S. for this answer.I hope this solves your problem. We may use on our older HiLo. That is why I saved this post. My sheet Metal Fabricator husband says this should be a good fix.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #4

Thank you for all of your answers they were very helpful in solving the problem and I see now how to fix it without any damage
lonestar106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default awning bracket repair

If you have a aluminum frame, you can use what is called a plus nut in your tube. This is a 1/4-20 threaded compression sleeve sold by Mcmaster-carr to anyone. We used these in the mobile medical trailer industry and they worked fantastic on thin tubes that had to have threaded parts attached to them and work reliably without problems. you should use a special install tool to get the nuts very tight, but you can make one out of a 1/4-20 bolt, (2) 1/4-20 nuts,and a few washers. best of luck.
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote