Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 04-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #1

Default Painting exterior

Please help! We have a 1983 hi-lo and would love to paint the exterior....any suggestions?

Martini5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
sam

Default Painting a HiLo

We need to paint our exterior HiLo also. Do an internet search for paint an RV. I need my dh to read on this site irv2.Go to the vintage category under forums. Page 1. Painting 94 Gulf stream Cruiser. This person was able to paint with a good quality roller and a good quality brush. Preperation is very important. Some of the fiberglass boat sites might be helpful www.west marine.com.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

earlier hi-lo's(fiberglass) get painted just like a corvette, except a lot more hand sanding because it is not a flat surface
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

Any decent auto body paint shop should be able to paint the exterior of your HiLo. Only problem would be with the exterior graphics. They would have to come off. You could check with Rob at JR Repair for graphics. I believe he told me that they do have some for the older units.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
sam

Default Painting a HiLo 90 Classic

My local body shop does fantastic work on our 1997 ford f250. It looks brand new. I asked him about looking at our fiberglass HiLo and he said he wouldn't be interested. The problem with older HiLo's is that they aren't worth spending thousands for a paint job. The paint job price would exceed the value of the trailer. I've spent sometime researching rv painting this winter and good quality paints are available to the do it yourselfer. You possible could rent spray equipment. I won't be spraying as it is beyond my capabilities.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #6

We painted our 1969 Bon Voyage three times over the years. Sprayed it ourselves each time. First time we used Krylon exterior gloss enamel over primer, then topcoated the exterior gloss with a quality exterior clear coat. Five layers total. We sanded the aluminum to bare metal over most of the trailer, meticulously cleaned the surface, stripped off as much trim as we could and taped off EVRYTHING else. Took us four days, several gallons of sweat, a case of paint bombs and a dozen abrasive pads. We were very happy with the final results. That paint job lasted 20 years. I really think the key to longevity was the two topcoats clear synthetic varnish. The Bon Voyage looked like new!
Since then we've never had to paint the entire trailer. The gold trim has since been twice painted, and I've redone the front and back. A-frame and bumper twice.
Good luck!
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #7

Default Thanks Jim

Jim
Thanks for sharing what you did to paint your 1969 hilo. Have a 1969 hilo that needs a good coat of paint real bad.

Later Tim owner 18ft 1969 hilp

69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote