Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 06-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #1

Default Patching roof questions

I have an aluminum roof that has pin holes along the side and other spots here and there. I was going to buy some etrabond (aluminum seal tape) to patch the holes. This stuff is great! My question is can I paint the whole roof with that rubberized seal on aluminum. I would like to be sure every whole is cover.

Bloomberg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #2

Thats's how I fixed mine. Bought a roll of eternabond tape and 3 gallons of Kool Seal 63-600. Patched the holes with the eternabond then hand washed the top with TSP twice and rinsed 3 times then coated with Kool Seal. My 24' Funchaser took just under 2 gallons to coat the whole roof twice and the bad spots 3 times. Bought everything online except TSP from Amazon.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Default roof repair

Bloomberg4,

I just recently finished a complete re-do of my roof. I would suggest you look back on my posts beginning here: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...r-shroud-1583/

From your description, it sounds as if you and I share the same problem. Holes in the roof caused by shoddy factory workmanship basically by driving the nails/screws too far into the plywood roof when nailing the two sheets of plywood together; this caused nails to protrude through the roof and the dissimilar metals [nail versus aluminum] brought about a chemical reaction [I call it roof rot] causing several holes wherever the nails were protruding too far. I ended up finding over [45] holes from pin-point size to over 1/2" where the metal had deteriorated. Be sure and get up on your roof and give it a thorough going over and identify all the locations were you find the pin-point holes. Each hole will have to be treated.

Both garyk52 and I basically used the same materials and procedures to re-do the roof. I am not familiar with the etrabond aluminum seal tape but I did use some aluminum tape with an elastomeric adhesive on a few spots and it painted over very nicely. I would suggest as did Gary, that you go ahead and paint the entire roof while you are at it. Peace of mind is a great asset when you are out in the weather.

You didn't mention the model or year of your Hi Lo; ours is a 2406 T. If you are one of the unlucky ones like me, your end caps may also need attention as on a couple of models and years they used a plastic end cap versus the traditional fiberglass end cap and they are prone to splitting. This is addressed in some of my posts also. My splits [one in each end cap] are not yet corrected. My attempts to repair did not work. I am considering using the aluminum tape to cover the end cap splits, balancing it out, then paint it with a white paint that blends in with the color of the end caps, then placing the American Flag decals over the painted area.

The age of your trailer may also indicate that you need to change the butyl tape that the factory used on all your windows. It is sub-par in quality and you may want to consider removing all your windows and replacing with a good butyl tape, then sealing with an elastomeric caulk. This is not as difficult as it may sound, although it is time consuming. If you check back on some of Sam's posts, they will tell you of the dangers of allowing your butyl tape get so deteriorated that it may cause you to have major wall problems.

I wish you luck on repairing your roof.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote