Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 04-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #1

Default PUSH-OUT Strapping Replacement Q

Hi Folks:

I just took delivery of a 2007 2507C and find that the webbing/strap that hoists the push-out is missing. There was a short length still attached to the winch, so I was able to buy a similar type for replacement. I was wondering if anyone else had replaced the strapping and if they recall how long the strap is supposed to be. I guess I could take some measurements and figure it out, but what the heck, someone always seems to have "been there, done that" kinda thing. So, any ideas?

Thanks, Andy

CA2507C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #2

OK, so I bought an 8' length of webbing from West Marine - heavier duty than stock - its sort a "tube" - sewed a loop on one end where the bolt goes through the bracket on the pop-out. With the pop-out down and inside the HL, I could feed the webbing up between the rollers of the winch and into the winch cabinet. Then I went inside and manually lifted the pop-out back up so that I could get the the winch cabinet.

To get to the winch you undo the two screws either side of the light fixture - there is enough extra wiring so that you can put the light into the adjacent cabinet temporarily.

I ran the winch motor so that it returned to the "down" position, then undid a "lock ring" on the capstan of the winch using an allen key - the webbing is locked in place under the right hand lock ring. I slid the end of the webbing under the lock ring and pulled it through until there was about 18" out figuring the distance from the bracket to the winch is about 6' when the the pop-out is inside and down. I made sure the the webbing wrapped around the capstan a couple of times. After I raised and lowered it a couple of times I figured I needed a bit more slack as the webbing was a bit tight when the pop-up was inside. So, I loosened the capstan locking ring and fed some webbing back out. Now all is hunky dory and it works like a charm, just as the manual describes.

I would characterize it as a two banana job for the average handyman such as me.

HTH, Andy

CA2507C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #3

Andy -
It sounds like you've done a very nice job on this. So far your's is the first repair of this type that we have on HTF. Your descriptive repair will be very helpful to others who come looking for a repair tip on this too.

This time of the year we've got some members out camping too, so you may yet get some feedback from someone else that has invested 2 banana's on this

Thanks for sharing.

Neal