Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 07-10-2022, 11:05 PM   #1

Default Refrigerator vent grill

Hi I have a 1998 24 D and I’m installing new refrigerator external vent fans and would like to know what’s the best sealant to use on the vent grill. It was very hard to get off due to the rubber sealant used but also wasn’t sealed all that good either. I’d like to find a better way to seal this up but also have it be a little easier to remove if needed. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

hdrider211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Mine has butyl tape sealant around the edge (between the vent and the trailer body) and I'm sure that's what yours has too. It is a bit difficult to pull the vent off due to its stickyness, but I can't think of anything that's better and/or easier to remove. If I were you, I'd just use a new layer of tape, making sure it is inserted right along the edge of the underside of the vent.

- Jack

Old 07-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #3

Thanks I’m thinking someone had this off. Looks like they used a bunch of lap sealant. I already ordered the tape and that is what I plan to use. Thank you for the info
hdrider211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Ah, that sounds entirely possible! The buytl tape should be quite easy to apply and should work well to seal against moisture.

- Jacj
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #5

Default Refrigerator vent seal.

When we had J&R in OHIO replace our seal between the top and bottom of HILo they replaced the exterior white vent. It was not sealed up very good. Butyl tape was used. Probably bent up on removal. Use a plastic scraper to remove old butyl tape. Perhaps a five'n one tool very carefully remove the tape residue. Follow up with goo gone and or paint thinner. Doesn't have to be perfect. Get as much off as you can.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grill, refrigerator, vent