Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Default roof coat /window seal

Hi, I have a 2008 hi lo 15 foot trailer. A while ago, I patched some caulking on the roof and that seemed to work well. I believe it is an aluminum roof. I would like to coat the roof with a roll on sealant. I wonder:

1. Do I coat just over the seams or the whole roof?

2. Do I roll the sealant over the existing caulking around the air conditioner
etc?

I also noticed that the caulking around the two side windows is beginning to
fail-what caulk should I use to re-seat/re-seal the windows?

thanks for any recommendations-

Dennis

DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
sam

Default window resealing

I'm sure someone will answer your roof sealing questions. Since your trailer is nine years old I highly recomend that you remove all windows and reseal with butyl tape. Put the window back in and seal on the outside with Lexel caulk. It can be purchased at ACE hardware or lowes. Also on line Youtube has a video on how to do this.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Dennis, follow sam's advice about the windows. Window leaks can lead to expensive repairs.

I'd recommend using elastomeric paint such as KoolSeal (Ace Hardware) or Henry's (Home Depot) for the roof. You can mask off the sides just below the seams at the edges and just apply two coats over the entire roof. It is white, highly reflective, UV resistant, and flexible. It also cleans up with water. Apply it with a roller. There are other brands besides the ones I listed, but I don't know their names. They are all pretty much alike, although some have longer warranties. Lowes will probably have a "house brand" too.

Yes, apply it over any seams or caulk. If it doesn't stick to the caulk, you have silicone caulk. I'd replace that with Lexel then coat over it.

In Arizona we coat built up roofs of our homes with elastomeric and it does an excellent job. I also applied it to the exposed part of the awning to protect it from sun damage. Works great!

- Jack
Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #4

thanks very much! I appreciate the responses
Old 09-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

I just finished resealing two windows on my 22t. I think I waited to long got a little bit of water damage. I used butyl tape its easy to work with but hard to trim excess. Very difficult to do a good job calking over the tape but hopefully its sealed good. Use soapy water to smooth calking.
mail pouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
sam

Default somemore advice

After you put on the two coats of roof seal carefully remove the blue painters tape before the sealer dries. We resealed our windows and then waited a few days for the butyl tape to squish out. DH used the edge of a five in one scraper to carefully remove the excess butyl tape. Yearly check the inside window screws to see if any have loosened up with travel.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #7

thanks everybody-Sam, do you do one or two coats on the roof?
If you do two coats, do you pull the tape off after first coat, then use more tape for the
second coat?

thanks
Dennis
Old 09-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #8

sorry Sam, I misspoke-you told me in your message that I should put on two coats-
but to remove the tape before it dried.

Do I apply the first coat, pull the tape off and then allow it to dry -then put on more tape and then apply the second?

thanks,

Dennis
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisB View Post
sorry Sam, I misspoke-you told me in your message that I should put on two coats-
but to remove the tape before it dried.

Do I apply the first coat, pull the tape off and then allow it to dry -then put on more tape and then apply the second?

thanks,

Dennis
Dennis, I'm not Sam, but I THINK I applied two coats of elastomeric paint over the top and front of my awning and masked the lower edge with the new green painter's tape (which is stronger than masking tape). As I recall, I did not pull the tape off until I had applied the second coat. But I did not let the paint dry too long before applying the second coat either. I just waited until it had dried sufficiently (maybe an hour or so?)

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #10

Great! Thanks very much

Dennis
Old 09-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #11
sam

Default Roof coating

Follow Jack's advice. On a good day you will probably be able to get enough dry time to do two coats in one day. I used the blue painters tape because that is what I had on hand. 3M seems to come up with new tape kinds(improved). That is for those of s that aren't fond of painting,but do it out of necessity.