Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 06-16-2015, 02:59 AM   #1

Default sagging upper wall on door side

Hello all;
I have a 1995 21 foot towlite. My wife wanted to replace the curtains and repaint the curtain hardware. So it was my job to remove the rods and brackets....and that's when I noticed that all the screws were rusty. Also on the door side the lower curtain brackets were almost unreachable. With the curtains removed I could see the sagging of the upper wall on the door side. In the "center" of the sag it appears almost 2 inches. I have sealed the roof so it is no longer leaking but the sagging wall has me really concerned. The door works just fine without any binding. We just took our 1st trip in it and had a great time. Being new to this, I really need some suggestions. Thanks for any help.

1995 21' towlite 215TD
sax player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
sam

Default sagging wall on door side

I have a Classic. My wall (short section) beyond door to back of trailer had a sag. The metal frame inside had rusted out. DH had to disassemble the wall and replace all the metal and yayers of the wall. Rusty screws and drpery hardware that won't stay mounted mean water intrusion. The Towlite is constructed differently than the Classic. Are you handy? Correction:layers Plenty of forum members have had to rip walls apart and repair/rebuild.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:03 AM   #3

Lon,

The sagging wall could be a number of things.

1. Your cables may need to be adjusted to raise the top so that the gasket between the top and bottom sections meet up. This is the easiest to fix.

2. The wall framing of your 1995 TowLite is wood. If you had water get into the wall, your studs may have dry rot and the pulleys may no be functioning.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:55 AM   #4

thanks for the replies. The wall on each end comes up to the bumpers so I don't think the cables have stretched. I do have the rusty screws mentioned so there was a water problem in the past. However, we have been pelted by thunderstorm after thunderstorm and I have checked the camper after these and everything seems to be dry. I'm thankful my roof sealing job appears to be doing its' job. I guess how does one diagnose the issue and set about doing the repairs. I don't want to start ripping out a wall and that not be the fix it needs.
1995 21' towlite 215TD
sax player is offline   Reply With Quote