Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #1

Default Screen Room?

Insects seem to be attracted to my wife, and unfortunately, she reacts very badly to their bites. So I am thinking about getting an awning mounted screen room. Something like the Dometic Patty O'Room or the Carefree Vacation'R.
Anyone tried either of these or something similar? I am especially concerned about how to seal the big jag in the wall where the top half meets the bottom half.
Thanks for any help.

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperD View Post
Insects seem to be attracted to my wife, and unfortunately, she reacts very badly to their bites. So I am thinking about getting an awning mounted screen room. Something like the Dometic Patty O'Room or the Carefree Vacation'R.
Anyone tried either of these or something similar? I am especially concerned about how to seal the big jag in the wall where the top half meets the bottom half.
Thanks for any help.
CamperD, we have never had a mounted screened room, but we have used a screened canopy kept a lot of insects out, but once the doorway was unzipped it was like putting out a welcome mat for anything that was flying.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
sam

Default screen room

Someone in our HiLo club had the screen. I don't know the particulars as I only went in it once. They have sold their unit. Call Jay at Mantelli trailers. He is in parts and is a good resourceful person to ask. 1-716-625-8877.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #4

Well, I found a Carefree Add-A-Room on ebay for $145 and took the leap. This was the model prior to the current Vacation'R. It had good reviews for many years before it was replaced. I think I have figured out how to make the seal against the trailer without drilling holes in the side, and also how to deal with right angle jogs where the top and bottom halves meet.
I'll report back and have some pictures when I have a working solution.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #5

Default Failed Experiment

Well, I was able to rig up some 3/4" pvc pipe and make a decent seal for the Add-A-Room against the sides of the HiLo without drilling into the sides. The screen room worked great at keeping the bugs out and increasing our living space. BUT, it took quite a bit of time and fussing to get it erected. We tried it for the winter in Florida, and decided to scrap the idea. Too much time taking it down for storms (lots of them) and winds. Made my wife extremely nervous. I was able to resell it on ebay for $120 so it wasn't a costly experiment. We ended up with a CLAM screen shelter which is designed for high winds.