Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #1

Question seam tape

Has anyone used EternaBond seam tape? I'm looking for any reviews on it.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #2

YES, I HAVE AND I THINK ITS GREAT STUFF!! i used it on my motorhome when i backed into a tree and poked a hole in the corner.
now i have my 1st hi lo and the 1st thing i did was seal all my roof seams with it.
its very easy to use and really does the job.
i got mine from ebay, my RV dealer here does not carry it.

Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

Default Did you use any thing special to clean or prime with first

I'm just wondering about prepping before using eternabond tape
would you suggest the 4" or 6" for the top side seams
did you go over the rubber seams part of the trailer
thanks
bluewindsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

How often do you have to reseam with the tape?
lpmincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #5

Joan,

What type of roof do you have (that you used the tape on)?

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #6

it was my '84 funchaser that i used it on.
but i am not exactly sure what type of roof it was. i was all over it and it was quite sturdy and very solid. i just went over all the seams with the tape and around the vents and stuff.
Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #7

Default EternaBond

Just bought a roll last month after returning from our spring trip. Discovered that when the dealer put a new end cap on our Hi-Lo, they didn't do a good job. Too few screws were used to secure it on the roof, causing gaps that in turn caused the caulking to separate from the roof, so, after reading a lot about it, I put EternaBond on the seam. I cleaned the aluminum roof with a good cleaner (as recommended by manufacturer) and the tape stuck like a magnet to it and the PVC end cap. I did put a line of caulking on the leading edge as recommended.

Since I was trying to beat the approaching rain, I haven't applied it elsewhere on the roof. The tape is pricey, but if it lasts as advertised, it'll be worth it. I will check e-bay and Amazon to see if it's cheaper. BTW, our trailer is covered (CalMark custom RV covers) so the tape won't get the full northwest weather effects while in storage.

Frank
Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #8

Talking Eternabond update

I purchased 2 rolls of 4 inch wide x 50 ft. Eternabond tape from amazon.com, they seemed to have the best price. The problem I had with my 97 towlite was the factory installed the box awning incorrectly. The aluminum trim with the "c" channel to hold the awning was to not long enough, causing water from the roof to get behind the awning and since the box awning was screwed tight to the wall the water went into the wall. The factory aluminum trim did not have the built in gutter (as with newer trailers).
I replaced this aluminum trim with the newer style with the built in gutter. When I was taking the old trim off, the putty tape do not bond to the smooth surface of the aluminum causing the seam to leak even with caulking the joint. I have an aluminum roof that has alot of flexing because it's only attached at the wall and roof vents (poor design). I removed all of the cheap putty tape to get a good bond. I used Sikaflex 1a (Polyisocyanate Prepolymer) construction sealant (you can also get this at amazon.com). I have used this product for years in the HVAC field and never had a problem. It bonds very well and stays flexible (it doesn't crack like RV tripolymer caulking because it does not contain rubber) I used the Sikaflex between the trim and also as caulking.
I used the Eternabond tape behind the trim and box awning, also added 1/8" aluminum thick stand-offs for the awning. So if any water gets behind the box awning, it won't wick-up into the wall. Since the Eternabond tape didn't perform as well as I liked on corners of the roof to the wall, I used the Sikaflex 1a at this joint. The flat joints on the roof which are a acme-lock for the aluminum roof, I used Eternabond tape.
All in all, I fixed all of the water leaking problems. It took me a month to complete, working between rain storms and working full time at my regular job.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #9

Default Other Eternabond Uses

I've used Eternabond to installed a new vent on top of a 5th wheeler I once owned. It worked wonderfully and made easy work of sealing the flange of the new vent.
Another thing I used it for was awning repair. We went to bed one night and it rained very hard. Hard enough to cause water to pool on my tilted awning. Anyway the awning ripped due to the weight of the water. The rip was about 12 - 18 inches long. Ertenabond on the top and under the awning prevented me from having to replace the awning. The rip was on the white protion of the awning so unless I point the Eternabond out folks never notice it.
Eternabond is expensive but well worth the money spent. Since the awning event Eternabond now travels with us.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #10

Default Eternabond not eternal

Did you use the Eternabond Plus with the thicker microsealant? I got the regular roll from Amazon and it is not working! We scraped the old caulking off and cleaned as instructed. We applied it and used a roller to pressure-activate it. However, it did not seem as sticky as it looked in the videos I watched to research it.

The next morning, the edges were mostly all pulled away. Very disappointing. We used it to cover the seam between the roof and the side. We did not stretch it tight as the instructions were to just lay it on and press down to get a good adhesion.

I had emailed the manufacturer before I ordered it to see how to apply and received the answer to remove the molding and old caulk, clean, cover the seam with Eternabond, and screw the molding back on. I was told to put the screws right through with no need to caulk over the screws because the Eternabond would act as a gasket and seal the holes.

I wonder if I got an old roll or something because it was definitely not very sticky even on my hands and the microsealant seemed thin. I am going to contact the manufacturer again and ask what's up.

Snappy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote