Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Default The Top Rubber Hard Stops

I have a question about the rubber hard stops that are located on each end of the trailer. These are the rubber hard stops that are supposed to rest on the frame of the lower portion of the trailer when the top is lowered down to its final resting position. I had noticed that one of mine was coming loose and I actually pulled it off so that I wouldn't lose it altogether. It looked like they were just glued to be held in place? My question is what is the best material to use to glue this back in place and hold it properly?

I attached this picture, which is the only one I had available right now, but it shows a portion of the hard stop on the right side of the picture, its yellow/orange and is glued inside that mounting strip along the front edge of the fiberglass end cap. Also anyone have any idea what the switch located there is for? I have tried to press it, but it is frozen in place and won't turn on or off, I wasn't sure I wanted to force it in case I broke it all together. I'm assuming it was to turn on a light either inside or outside of the trailer?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown Switch.jpg (92.9 KB, 86 views)

Old 09-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Both of my trailers have screws in the ends of those rubber stops, the screws are clear of the frame when down.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

The switch is for the outside light that is over your front window.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

PoppaP,

I would think a good adhesive made especially for adhering rubber to metal would do. If you can't find one that will work on both metal and rubber, I have had good luck with gorilla glue.

Regarding the switch, do you have an outside light on that side of the trailer or perhaps around the tongue area? Why not remove the switch and using a volt-meter, see if battery is present. You could strap across it to see if you have an outside light or something else that comes on. I don't think you would have any problem finding a replacement rocker switch to replace it.

Jerry Curtis
2406T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Team

And, you might find that you have heavy wood under those rubber bumpers so that you could insert 1" wood screws to better secure them.

- Jack
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yeah I was thinking the switch was for an outside light, the trailer is in storage right now, but was going to pick it up and do a few maintenance items, so I couldn't remember if there was a light outside somewhere. I was thinking of the same stuff (gorilla glue) also for the rubber stop, or something similar as long as it was good for rubber to metal adhesion it should work. I didn't think about the rubber stop being screwed into wood though, there were no screws or holes in the rubber piece though. Does anyone know if there is wood behind that mounting strip that is along the front of the end cap? If so I will probably put a few screws in place to hold instead. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
Both of my trailers have screws in the ends of those rubber stops, the screws are clear of the frame when down.
I want to change the previous statement some, the rubber stops are all screwed on, on the 95. On the 2209 only the rubber stops on the sides are screwed on, the ones front and back are glued on.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #8

On our 91 Classic, it looks like they sit in a track that probably connects the front to the body of the trailer, and a couple of them slide in the track,,, and it looks like a couple have really moved, as in gone, something to add to the list
Old 09-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #9

PappaP -- Yes, if that switch is located under the end fiberglass cap near the tongue, it is for the light (orange lens) adjacent to the tongue. That light sure does help at night when you have to do something in that area. Also, on our 25-foot 2009 Classic Hi-Lo, we have a switch on the curb side of the camper which provides for lighting underneath the Hi-Lo for the curb side of the camper.

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #10

Default Top rubber stops

2 1/2 years ago I had 3 out of 4 rubber stops that were deteriorated, loose, etc. My solution was to cut small squares from an old tire and epoxy glue in place. It has worked fine for the time. I used the epoxy that is 50/50 mix and good for exterior service.

edward lansing is offline   Reply With Quote