Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Cool what did you use for gluing walls

Hi,all I have recently totally rebuilt the upper walls of my 97 tow lite 24td I have not installed them as of yet due to rusty roof rafter end which I will be welding new ones in soon as I find time.My question is, what should I use to glue the exterior fiberglass side panels to the new wood walls? Also how much wieght can the lift system lift? Im hoping i didnt over build the walls!! I used top grade 1x4 and 1x3 pine from HD and gorilla glued and screwed the framing then covered all sides with 1/4 birch ply using hd liguid nail and staples,I built the bottom rail using pt 2x4 with a 1/4 ply glued to it to make the proper dimension then covered that with alumonum gutter cut to fit like original pieces.This upper half was water logged and rotted to a point it was held up with 2x4's looling like a mine shaft instead of a camper,But the bottom half was PERFECT and functioning at a hunt camp.SO I found this site caught THE BUG and deciced to give it a second life WEW!! I only hope im not over building for the lift systems sake. I do plan on new cables and all pulleys for piece of mind.can you install new cables with a new top in the lowered posistion? Ive only read where every one raise the top. Thanks all This site has been FANTASTIC for info even 3 local rv dealers IVE talked to where clueless to hi lows.SO this site has saved another one!! Forgot to mention I towed this trailer from northern Georgia to florida at 75mph on the interstate in the full up and rotted condition I descibed only cost was 2 tires and 60 dollars of diesel fuel. Thanks again and sorry to ramble on so.

thingamabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #2

well, I cant believe no one on this site can answer my questions!! I did finally get around to welding the metal tubes for the roof frame and had to replace the long end pieces due to rust through,I also added a new boxed in section over the front sleeping/couch area so I could add a fantastic vent fan to that area.next I will prime and paint the structure then start the re assembly process! I would like to laminate the exterior fiberglass panels to the new wood walls before hand and lm thinking Ill just use fiberglass resin as a bonding ahesive this way the wood will be sealed by the resin as well.Does anybody have any input on my methods or sugestions? Thanks Bob.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

I have never tried to fix an RV but I have worked a bit on my boat.

Your idea of using resin should work, provided the fiberglass panels do not have a smooth gel-coat on the inside. If it does, you may want to scuff it up first. I would start by mixing up some light epoxy resin and brushing or rolling it into the wood. This will serve as a sealer coat. After that's dry, mix up more epoxy. If you are working on vertical surfaces, add colliodial silca to the epoxy until it's thick enough not to sag or run. Everything you need should be available at a marine supply; West Marine stores are a good place to look.

An alternative is using a high strength adhesive. 3M, 5200 adhesive will definitely work. It's a but pricey, but you won't have the mess of mixing epoxy. Having said that, it still may be good to seal the wood in case you get leaks in the future. 5200 is also available at marine supply stores.

These guys make good products and have a number of how-to guides and videos on their site: Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #4

I think if you go to the top of the screen and do a search for glue or adhesive you will find a number of posts about it. I have seen it discussed here. The people that have done it are probably out camping somewhere and haven't seen your question yet.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #5

Yes-search for repairing walls or gluing walls. There are a number of folks who have done complete rebuilds and have posted extensive narratives and pictures.

I second Norton Rider on West Systems. In fact, I use their "GEL FLEX" on almost everything now. But, it isn't cheap and I dont know how it work for a large panel.

(ps- check garyk52's posts for a rebuild)

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #6

Wink

Thanks for the sugestions,I did do a search on this site but came up with nothing. I live on the intercoastal water way,and have strongly considered the 5200 I know you cant get anything to come apart when you use it,but yes the cost of about $19 a tube is ouch! I will probally coat the wood wall with polyester resin let dry then second coat and apply fiberglass panel to the wall,I have them lying down on a bench so it should be fairly easy,they are just so long to move into position,they are fairly rough on the back side so I expect good adhesion,.My nieghbor built a small fishing boat using west systems epoxy and that stuff seems to be great as well,but also a little costly for me.I was just thinking there may be a neater way other than resin,but that is the route I will probally take.Next part will be errecting the walls that should be a blast,considering Ive been doing all this single handed at 50yr old those walls liked to take me down moving them around. Determination is my strenght HE HE!! Thanks guys I believe ill go with polyester resin for cost effectiveness.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
sam

Default What glues to use for wall repair?

I'm not an expert. We have a Classic that we did a rebuild on. Seems like everything you have done so far is a quality rebuild. We used 3MBondo to coat the inside of our fiberglass. This was bought at a specialty shop that sells to autobody repair shops. Can't remember the price. Couldn't have been cheap. Saw the same stuff at Autozone afterwords. This is absolutely the best way to seal fiberglass. Some holes may be so tiny you can't see them. A good idea to do them while off the RV for good ventilation. You will also need a good industrial respirator. We used HD liquid nails to glue our underlay,paneling and foam insulation to the fiberglass. We tried contact cement and it wouldn't tack up as we were doing our repairs in the fall/winter. Some have used two part epoxy . Gorilla glue has been used. Yes,materials are expensive. Hope this helps you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #8

Smile

Hey Sam when you say 3m bondo Im thinking of the body filler products ued in collision or rust repair is that correct? Wouldnt that add extra wieght? I would think brushing a coat of polyester resin on the back would seal any pin holes as well as any other product but offers the simplicity of just brushing it on?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #9

check out this thread.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...n-begins-1532/

also- try searching "renovation" "rebuild" ---I found many posts doing that. also check the photos sections- some rebuilds have been documented there.

rick

4x4
Old 07-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

I had read all those threads before I started that is what got me motivated,however no one had to start from nothing,I had no top to start off with as far as framing and such because when I pulled off the metal roofing and windows the entire thing collapsed to the ground in a pile of wet mush,I managed to save the outer fiberglass skin and rebuilt the metal roofing frame from what I could make out of the crumbled mess. I used the fiberglass as a template to figure out the framing and have been going along as such.Wish I could have gotten pictures but Im not too cumputer savy and only have a phone camera.The kids get all the cool stuff and I salvage and rebuild HE HE! Havent seen anyone show pictures or desribe laminating the fiberglass panels to the inner wood wall as of yet. Thaks again Bob
Old 07-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #11

Well-

It is too bad you did not get photos as we would have all enjoyed the project vicariously. Still- your kids might be able to figure out how to post the pictures . If you can get some we would love to see them. There was somebody last year who pretty much had a total tear down ----if I find that thread and it looks promising I will link it. Nobody who had to build it from scratch, though. Good for you

Rick

4x4
Old 07-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #12

Ill try to get some pictures posted this week end Unfortunately they wont be any of it before the tear down I can only start where I am now which will be the new walls sheated and the new roof framing.With my wifes help I will try to keep them coming but it will be slow since I have only been working on it every other week,Im kinda stalling untill the wheather cools and as the budget alows.God knows what Ill have to do in return to get my wife involved Hehe!