Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #1

Default atwood hot water heater

hello. I have a 2004 31C and would like to know the size of the hot water heater...I know it's an Atwood but I need to know the capacity (6 or 10 gallon)...can some one who has one of these please help me?

Savage709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #2

I don't recall of ever seeing a 10 gallon water heater in any Hi-Lo. Looking at the 2004 brochure, it does not indicate the size.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #3

If you can't find a model number, I remember mine was on a paper tag that I could not read
The next best thing is measure it and compare to the specs of a new Atwood water heater
Most likely a 6 gallon
You may want a DSI with electric heat if you don't have already I believe it's the same size and not much more money
There is always the new tankless water heaters for rv s now which are much more in cost
I do a lot of dry camping and found that a tankless was not the best route for me
I kept with my 6 gal DSI, changed my thermostats so I'm heating the water to 140 degrees then added an automatic thermostatic mixing valve to the back of the water heater which mixes in cold water and I get 9 gallons of hot water out of a 6 gallon water heater
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
If you can't find a model number, I remember mine was on a paper tag that I could not read
The next best thing is measure it and compare to the specs of a new Atwood water heater
Most likely a 6 gallon
You may want a DSI with electric heat if you don't have already I believe it's the same size and not much more money
There is always the new tankless water heaters for rv s now which are much more in cost
I do a lot of dry camping and found that a tankless was not the best route for me
I kept with my 6 gal DSI, changed my thermostats so I'm heating the water to 140 degrees then added an automatic thermostatic mixing valve to the back of the water heater which mixes in cold water and I get 9 gallons of hot water out of a 6 gallon water heater
Is there mod that you can't do?
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #5

Red face Thanks

Thanks folks but none of this helps at all....we don't do any boon docking and like full hook ups plus when I had my last trailer (3124KS Trailmanor) I switched out the 6 gallon Suburban for a Girard tankless water heater and loved it! There is nothing more that I and the management hate than running out of hot water...I have little hair while the management has massive amounts so it just wouldn't do for her to run out of hot water while shampooing her mop....so I have purchased the Suburban Nautilus tankless hot water heater which is even better than the Girard. The Girard is 42000 BUT's while the Suburban in 60000 BTU's and I got it for less than the Girard's price! I just need to know what was in there so I can get the proper replacement door. My 31C is still in Florida and so I can't put my Austin hands on it until it gets here in the near future. I just wanted to have all the parts ready for the install when it arrives....can't wait because this will be one of the many modifications I will be doing to my new to me Hi Lo!
Old 12-09-2018, 01:29 AM   #6
sam

Default Getting water heater parts.

I have used PPL Motor Home in Texas for parts. Very good customer service.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I have used PPL Motor Home in Texas for parts. Very good customer service.
yes I know...that is who I bought my Suburban Nautilus hot water on demand water heater from....
Old 12-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #8

I have a 2009 Classic. It has a 6 gallon water heater so take your best guess!!!
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #9

New tankless designs are available that run off propane and use 2 D batteries for ignition.

https://www.my12voltstore.com/Eccote...otemp%20l5.htm

They, of course, also make electric tankless. All the hot water you want (or as much as you have a supply tank for).

We enjoy boondocking, so this will be one of our mods. Then water supply is your only concern.
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #10

Lightbulb hot water question

so in conclusion to my question about the hot water heater in my 31C, it is an Atwood 6 gallon which is standard in a lot of trailers and I will be replacing it with the Suburban Nautilus hot water on demand
Old 12-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #11

Hey Savage, take pics of the install for us, eh?
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #12

Thumbs up photos

I will ....on my last trailer, a 3124KS Trailmanor I created a website based on all the modifications I did ( http://www.trickmytrailmanor.com ), however I probably will not do a website on my 31C but I will post pics of my modifications as I add them, many of them will be things I did to the Trailmanor....
Old 12-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #13

Sometimes you have to run water for awhile before you get hot water. I have heard the water must be flowing at least 1/2 gallon per minute to trigger the tankless to start heating. Would waste a lot of water if only using water tank and not campground water. Yes I know you must run some with a regular water heater also, but probably not as much.
ROUGH RIDER 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage709 View Post
hello. I have a 2004 31C and would like to know the size of the hot water heater...I know it's an Atwood but I need to know the capacity (6 or 10 gallon)...can some one who has one of these please help me?
Hi I have a 2001 model 31B (3101B)
It came with a 6 gal DSI/110V water heater, listed as standard.
The brochure shows this as the only option for models 24-31 feet. The 22 foot has only a standard 6 gal gas.
It’s interesting that the 2004 brochure dont tell the capacity. It only lists It as 110 DSI.

Daryl9031 is offline   Reply With Quote