Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #1

Default Black water tank leak

On our last outing we noticed that the black water tank had a tiny leak. Blue water was seeping out of a hairline crack where the large drain pipe connects to the bottom of the black tank. The water accumulates there until it builds up enough for a drip to form and fall to the ground.

The leak is very tiny, so I think it's repairable. My question is, what should I use to stop the leak?

Neal

Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #2

Default black water leak

Yes, you can get a black water repair kit at any RV dealer. The kit consist of 2 tubes of chemical and a pice of cloth. First empty the tank, clean and dry the area very good then use sand paper to ruff up the area of the leak and about 3 or 4 inches around the leak. Then mix the 2 chemicals per the instructions, spread the paste on the tank insert the cloth and put the rest of the chemical over the cloth. let dry over night. then you can put liquid back into the tank.
Sam

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #3

Sam -

I'll be dang'ed, I never would have guessed that they made something specifically for this problem. Just goes to show you that there isn't any substitute for experience!

Thanks Sam!

Neal
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #4

I went to a local RV dealer here in town and sure enough they had a repair kit for the black tank. They also had other repair kits, like for the potable tank.

The kit was $14, I followed the instructions, which were simple, but... I did learn one lesson, this stuff dries FAST, I mean you better mix it quick and get it on! I only got about half of it on the tank, went to dip the brush in to get some more, and, DOINK!... it was hard .. I think I got the leak area taken care of, I'll test it before I bother to buy another kit.

Sure beats replacing the tank!

Neal