Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:53 PM   #1

Default Black water vent tube

Hi all!

first post here.. found a ton of info on how to repair my black water tank...

im stuck.. i repaired the tank.. now im trying to fit it back in without tearing the bathroom apart...

the vent tube was broken and the main 3 inch was broken pretty bady.. i used fiberglass cloth and ABS cement and flex seal to fix it.. so far so good.. no leaks when i filled it with water..

so i have a 2004 17t hilo... the vent pipe broke about 13-14 inches up from the bottom of the trailer.. i was able to put a coupling fitting with new 1 1/2 pipe.. I want to test this before i cut the pipe to lenght to fit the black water tank... to make sure i have it on correctly.. Any ideas? compressed air? H2o?

Thank you all in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-3968.jpg (141.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3902.jpg (228.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3967.jpg (163.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3931.jpg (249.8 KB, 5 views)

JTRippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:41 PM   #2
Site Team

If you're talking about the "stink pipe" that extends up through the roof of the HiLo to vent sewer odors where you won't smell them, it does not have to be particularly airtight. In fact, since the top moves up and down, there is a section of it that "telescopes", the pipe from the bottom fits into a larger pipe at the top and the two sections slide on each other when the top is raised or lowered. There is some leakage there, but the easiest path is out the top so that's where the gasses go.

That pipe is ABS, I believe and you should be using ABS pipe in any repair to the toilet system. White pipe is PVC and it can become brittle with age. I would not use PVC piping in ANY of the plumbing systems in the trailer. Use PEX tubing for any supply lines from the fresh water tank or water heater to faucets and the toilet.

- Jack

Old 06-17-2022, 12:10 AM   #3

Considering the PVC is not in direct sunlight... the life expectancy of PVC is 50 to 100 years on average.

I am asking how to test the connection from the tank to the top of the HILO.. not the the life span of PVC or ABS...

but your reponse is appreciated.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
Site Team

And I was trying to tell you that it does not need to be "tested". You just need to make sure the top part of the pipe will slide freely over the bottom part when the top goes up and down.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:02 PM   #5

well was able to speak with a tech at the local shop.. seems there is a way to test to make sure the vent is working correctly..

and again..

thanks for the reply..

and FYI when a pipe is broken and you add a new piece and are unsure if its connected.. it MUST be tested before FINAL fitament..
Old 06-17-2022, 11:22 PM   #6
Site Team

OK, JT. Glad you've got it sorted.

Don't suppose you'd like to share the details of the test you speak of with all of us? This forum's value lies in the learning experience we gain from each other.

- Jack
Old 06-29-2022, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRippa View Post
well was able to speak with a tech at the local shop.. seems there is a way to test to make sure the vent is working correctly..

and again..

thanks for the reply..

and FYI when a pipe is broken and you add a new piece and are unsure if its connected.. it MUST be tested before FINAL fitament..
the vent tube, whether it be pvc or abs, from top of tank to top of hilo roof CAN NOT be glued air tight because it has to move up and down, period - i did not use hard pipe - i used flexible blue swimming pool filter drain pipe with a sewn cloth cover with elastic on each end for aesthetics
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #8

jack , i guess we could blow smoke in the black tank drain and watch for smoke coming out the top or in the camper
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:59 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
jack , i guess we could blow smoke in the black tank drain and watch for smoke coming out the top or in the camper

- Jack