Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32
Default Common RV parts? Where you getting these?

I have one new problem, the drain valve for the fresh water tank, the tiny plastic thing you use to twist to 90 degrees to drain, broke. I reached in, with pliers and more broke as I got it to drain, now worthless but empty.

Then I noticed that the Grey water's t handle only, must have vibrated off while heading to texas a couple weeks ago, where in that trip I also lost the cream colored cover the the 24" back of fridge cover!!!

These things seem to me, to be expensive for what they are locally at the RV guy near me, who I know he's trying to keep in business, Im not paying double what even camping world sells other things I 1st checked prices with him...

I cannot find just the fridge cover on CW, and I havent had the perfect search results for the drain cock/valve either, even though my last 5 campers had the same dang valve on them...

Where are you guys finding this stuff reasonable or cheap?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #2

Sting,

Talk about timing. I just replaced my plastic fresh water tank drain valve today. This is about the fourth time. Seems like they become brittle over time and the handle breaks. I went with brass this time. Went down to my local Home Depot and got a brass quarter turn shutoff, brass hose barb, and a brass cap to screw on the outlet to prevent critters and road debris from entering. The 3 parts cost about $13. I also replaced the drain hose. Had to enlarge the mounting hole in the bracket to accomodate the new valve. As far as the other parts you need, try calling J & R.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MISC2 001.jpg (87.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg MISC2 002.jpg (79.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg MISC2 003.jpg (87.2 KB, 62 views)

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #3

Sting,

I believe that the handles on the holding tank valves just screw on. You might be able to take the black tank valve handle off and use it as pattern. You could try to make one out of wood or nylon plastic. Just drill and tap it.
Just a thought........................

Bob
Old 05-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

BOB,

I love the way you think! I could surely do the same. I also like that the drain for your tank comes out the BOTTOM, and where you can see it, compared to mine, it comes out the side I think I saw, from middle of the camper...

Thanks for the tip! and the Handle thing, I thought of that too, but figured I just need to find something, and I will, that costs <5 bucks, that I can hold on there with a nut... Luckily I can still operate it without the handle, It moved that easy.... I looked and the lever they wanted $18 local, & something like 20 bucks get you the whole valve, which I am not going to change... lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #5

Default Valve

After replacing two fresh water tank drain valves (same problem the seemed to deteriate) I went with a brass ball valve like retiredcamper47. I mounted it behind the tan skirting so grandchildren would not be temped. I know where it is and that's what counts. Just reach up under the skirting and throw the valve.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #6

Great idea for the drain valves, will keep this in mind when mine breaks. Thanks retiredcamper and papa.
PappaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #7

Sting,

Try looking at some of the old lawn mowers that you might have laying around. Some use a plastic handle for the recoil start. They are "T" shaped and already have a hole in the middle for the cord. All you have to find is the nuts and washers to attach it to the valve handle shaft and you are in business!

Bob
Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #8

Hi Bubbie,
If you happen to be in the neighborhood of Creekside RV Park here in Pigeon Forge, stop on by. I think we're th only Hi-Lo in the camp!
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #9

Default Creekside RV Park

Hi Bubbie,
Yes, we arrived about 6:00PM today. Came in from Mammoth Cave. Traffic was ferocious...we Idahoans are not used to these looooong holiday traffic jams! Great hospitality here... By both staff and neighbors!
We'll be in and out much of the day. Evening would be the best time to find us "home."
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
sam

Default Getting inexpensive parts.

Sting32, The people on this forum are awesome!! You can call My RV dealer to see if he has a used rev.exterior cover. Mantelli trailer sales 1-716_625-8877. Ask to speak with Jay in parts if he is not available leave a message or e-mail him. Jay @mantelli.com You will defenitely get a response the day you call. Hope this helps you. They will ship parts anywhere.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Sting,

Talk about timing. I just replaced my plastic fresh water tank drain valve today. This is about the fourth time. Seems like they become brittle over time and the handle breaks. I went with brass this time. Went down to my local Home Depot and got a brass quarter turn shutoff, brass hose barb, and a brass cap to screw on the outlet to prevent critters and road debris from entering. The 3 parts cost about $13. I also replaced the drain hose. Had to enlarge the mounting hole in the bracket to accomodate the new valve. As far as the other parts you need, try calling J & R.

Bob
I had seen on the forum that the new HiLos had an outside drain valve, so last fall I added one underneath. I had completely forgotten it until I saw your photo. This spring I had messed around getting inside the couch to open and close it. I think I will redo it again like yours so I don't have to crawl under the trailer and it is visible so I remember it is there. LOL.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #12

All of you HILO & RV people in general, are great.. Great ideas, and everything.

BOB (Retired Camper47),

I've began to think you and I must be related? That lawnmower rope pull, is the perfect solution that I happened to find this weekend, I was tickled and then seen you post that, it was wow, scary how we think alike...
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #13

Sting,

Guess that shows that great minds think alike (lol)

Bob
Old 08-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to GiGi

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Sting,

Bob
Hello Bob! In the last picture in your series, it shows a plastic elbow or something like that going into the fresh water tank that the drain hose is attached to. I just snapped mine off at the tank last weekend hitting something in the dark out in the desert Any experience taking one of these out and would you or anyone else here perhaps know if it is a specialty item or something I can pick up at, say, Lowes? Thanks much!
GiGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #15

GiGi, I don't have this trailer anymore to take a look, but I think the tanks come with the drain nipple as part of the tank. Nylon fittings can be found at Home Depot & Lowes. Depending on your damage, a new fitting could possibly be inserted in the opening from the original broken off one. Without pics it is hard to give a good answer.

Bob
Old 09-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #16

Thanks Bob! This was a great and easy upgrade

Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote