Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #1

Default Hand-Held Shower Head Mod

My son-in-law and daughter have a 1989 22' Funchaser. The hand-held shower head has been hanging from a lanyard attached to one of the shower curtain rings.

We went to PPL a few weeks ago and saw a newer Hi-Lo with the shower head attached to the ceiling. It was attached to a plastic holder.

My son-in-law had one of his co-workers make him a bracket out of stainless steel with 3 holes so we could secure it to the ceiling. The best way I can explain it how he made it is he cut a "T" out of a sheet of stainless steel and bent the upper portion of the "T". He drilled out 3 holes in the upper portion of the "T" so we could run screws through them to the ceiling.

We removed one of the screws used to hang the round metal shower curtain frame that was already attached to the ceiling. We didn't want to use a screw that was longer than was needed because we didn't want to penetrate the roof.

The bracket hangs about 6" down from the ceiling and when you lower the unit it is free and clear from hitting anything. I bought a set of 3 magnets from my local hardware store. I only needed 2 and the set cost me $9.99:

Master Magnetics® Super Magnet - Magnets & Pick Up Tools - Ace Hardware

These are some pretty strong magnets. They are alot stronger than regular magnets.

I used Loctite Professional Super Glue to glue one of the magnets to the top rear side of the hand-held shower head. I glued another magnet to the stainless steel bracket.

Here's a few pics my son-in-law took this evening after our install. This is a 100% improvement of what he had before.

As I look at the pics I may glue that last 3rd magnet lower on the bracket for shorter folks that will be using the shower.

Hope this mod helps you or gives you some ideas.

89Hilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
gus

Very smart way of attaching the shower head, 2 questions, was the screws anchored into the ceiling panel directly or did you use adhesive also, second question is what is the black strip at the bottom of the shower curtain that is keeping it neat and tight?

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Very smart way of attaching the shower head, 2 questions, was the screws anchored into the ceiling panel directly or did you use adhesive also, second question is what is the black strip at the bottom of the shower curtain that is keeping it neat and tight?
The screws are screwed directly into the ceiling panel. We thought we might have needed to drill and place those plastic anchors (like you use in sheetrock) and then screw the screws into them. We noticed the metal curtain rail that's attached to the ceiling has screws that are directly screwed into the ceiling. We pulled one out to see the length and got 3 screws of the same length.

The former owner came up with the idea of using velcro around the shower tub and seat. The curtain he had up was worn so we decided to replace it. We used the old curtain as a pattern. We used the industrial strength velcro you can get at Home Depot. We overlapped portions of the curtain to be sure water didn't get out and velcroed along the seams.

The portion of the curtain that's not strong are the holes on top. With all the opening and closing of the trailer a few of them ripped. I should have allowed for a little more length for that. Instead of cutting a new curtain I reinforced each hole using clear duct tape. I think it's 3M. I reinforced each hole with 3 layers of that tape and then used a sharp knife to make the small holes needed for the shower curtain rings to pass through.

We used the clear curtain because it can get a little claustrophobic in that confined shower. LOL. I bought a non-slip mat and cut the hole for the drain.

We also cut 2 holes in the curtain to allow for the shower faucet to sit directly on top of the curtain. We used the softer pieces of the velcro and placed them around the fixture to avoid future wear and tearing. You can see a little of the black velcro behind the fixture in the pic.

It's a one person project because of the tight space back there. I think it took me close to 5 hours with all the cutting, velcro, and hole reinforcing.

I used professional super glue to attach the magnets. If that doesn't hold I'll use epoxy. I didn't do that initially because epoxy is messy and I already had the Loctite Professional Super Glue.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
gus

89hilo
Well you have done a great job fixing the shower area, see mine doesn't have skylight in the shower area, and since yours does, I figured they may have reinfected that clear platic area with some 2x4, I may have to pull on of the screws from the shower rail to see if there is any wood residue and the length of the screws, I might even use the same spot and screws to attach the bracket, Using stainless steel is great if I could find a supplier, I can make the bracket from mild steel, drill the holes, paint it then coat it with
liquid rubber you find at home depot in paint section, right now I overlap 2 shower curtains, but I am thinking of forming one large one by attaching them together with industrial strength spray adhesive, finally I will use your method of Velcro at the bottom
Thanks, you gave me some great ideas.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #5

Let me know how it goes Gus. The liquid rubber sounds like a good idea as well.

I decided to glue another magnet further down the bracket to make it nicer for shorter folks.