Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #1

Default Hot Water Tank Cracked!

Just bought a 99 21-FL Hi-Lo this summer and found out the previous owner didn't drain the water heater tank for winter and it must have froze. When I purchased it they had not de-winterized the trailer so I didn't get to test the plumbing. My fault for being so trusting. Anyways, I went to run some water up camping and looked down at the floor to find about 2 gallons of water running on the floor. I turned off the pump and began sopping up the mess. Got it home and pressurized everything to find the water tank split from one end to the other along the top of it. Sooooo, after a lot of cleanup and a few hours dissembling everything, I have the tank out and will order a new one tomorrow. I learned a lot today and look forward to getting the new tank installed. I'm doing all the work myself. So far the biggest barrier was the pressed rings on the tank ends that hold the tank to the outside. I cut them off with my Dremel and v'wallah the tank is out. From the reviews on the tank I'm ordering, the rings are just as much fun pressing back on the new tank.

Thanks for listening!

CBOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOCK View Post
Just bought a 99 21-FL Hi-Lo this summer and found out the previous owner didn't drain the water heater tank for winter and it must have froze. When I purchased it they had not de-winterized the trailer so I didn't get to test the plumbing. My fault for being so trusting. Anyways, I went to run some water up camping and looked down at the floor to find about 2 gallons of water running on the floor. I turned off the pump and began sopping up the mess. Got it home and pressurized everything to find the water tank split from one end to the other along the top of it. Sooooo, after a lot of cleanup and a few hours dissembling everything, I have the tank out and will order a new one tomorrow. I learned a lot today and look forward to getting the new tank installed. I'm doing all the work myself. So far the biggest barrier was the pressed rings on the tank ends that hold the tank to the outside. I cut them off with my Dremel and v'wallah the tank is out. From the reviews on the tank I'm ordering, the rings are just as much fun pressing back on the new tank.
Good luck with the re-install.
Thanks for listening!
I've had to pull mine out twice on our 27T and am now thinking about a new water heater.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
sam

Default new water tank

Don't you hate that when winterization isn't done properly!! Maybe you could post some pictures of the fittings/install.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote