Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

Default How to repair pipes

My pipe between the kitchen faucet and the hot water heater froze and is now leaking. What is the easiest way to repair this? Also, does the clear water holding tank pump through this same pipe? I just bought this and do not have a manuel for it so would appreciate any info to help me out.

Hiloqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #2

Queen,

Assuming you meant "fresh water tank" when you wrote "clear water holding tank," yes, that water would flow through the same pipe. Regardless of whether it starts in the fresh water tank, or from the hose attached to your trailer, fresh water quickly ends up in the same piping. In other words there aren't separate plumbing systems for shore water and tank water. If you are wondering if you can isolate the hot water heater so the outlet pipe won't leak... probably, if you can isolate the water heater. Our Hi-Lo has the valves to that. If your trailer has the valves for this, then the only other thing you'd have to do would be to keep the hot valves on your sink faucets shut...to prevent backflow to the leak when the cold valves are open.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but regarding how to repair your leak, what year is your trailer? Better yet, what type of plumbing does your trailer have? Older Hi-Lo's used hard CPVC piping and newer trailers use flexible polybutylene (PB) tubing. Each is repaired in a different way.

Can you actually see the leak, or are you seeing the result ( water flowing across the floor)?

BTW, welcome to the HTF!
Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Queen,

Correction to my statement that our Hi-Lo water can be isolated. After checking our plumbing I realized that the best we can do is bypass the water heater for winterization purposes. Bottom line is that, if you system is like ours, the water heater piping can't be isolated. Cold, fresh water will either flow through the water heater to the leak, or around the water heater to the leak.

Sorry if I confused you with my last post.
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiloqueen View Post
My pipe between the kitchen faucet and the hot water heater froze and is now leaking. What is the easiest way to repair this? Also, does the clear water holding tank pump through this same pipe? I just bought this and do not have a manuel for it so would appreciate any info to help me out.
I would use 1/2" PEX tubing and 1/2" Sharkbite brand connectors (which are a slip on connector. If you use Sharkbite connectors, you can intermix PEX,CPVC,or Copper on the same connector! Both PEX tubing and Sharkbite are sold at most hardware stores.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Shark Bite fittings are the way to go. I repaired my water lines with them after I had a tire blowout and tore up my water lines and wiring. Here is what they look like (if I can get the photos to attach). I got mine at Home Depot.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiLo Repair 010.jpg (77.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg HiLo Repair 011.jpg (89.4 KB, 62 views)
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #6

Bob and Les,

Once again, I've learned something from the HTF! Hadn't heard of Sharkbite connectors, but will definitely check them out at big orange. Looks like something to have on hand in my emergency repair kit.

Don't think there is any part of my old 1969 that I haven't had apart or gotten into, but I'm still learning about our "modern" 2004. This forum is such a terrific source of info.!

Thanks guys!
Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ