Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #1

Default More hot water

The atwood waterheater on my 97 towlite is a 6 gallon standing pilot (basic model).We wish we could have a little more hot water. After all the options,I was trying to figure out the most cost effective way to make it happien. Since I didn't have to replace the waterheater ,I'm going to add a HONEYWELL AM-1 SERIES THERMOSTATIC MIXING VALVE, mfg.#AM100-1. By adding this valve , I can turn up the thermostat on the waterheater, the mixing valve automatically adds cold water to a preset temperture for anti-scald,anti-chill protection thus giving me up to 9 gallons of hot water.This valve runs about $100. I'll let you know how the project goes. LES

campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #2

campthewestcoast -

I looked up the valve, I never knew there was such a thing. It sounds like a brilliant idea, I'm looking forward to hearing your post operation report!

Neal

Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #3

The honeywell AM-1 series thermostatic mixing valve worked great, by turning up the thermostat up on the 6 gallon water heater it produced about 9 gallons of hot water. This worked on the basic water heater.
Now that I have a 2206 towlite with a DSI/electric 6 gallon water heater with a non-adjustable thermostat, I still want the 9 gallons of hot water.
By going to ; marksrv.com/atwood_wh_parts.htm part#A93105 adjustable thermostat kit
Adding this kit and the thermostatic mixing valve this will give me 9 gallons of hot water.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

Great idea, just be sure to warn people to mix the water carefully, but if you add the Honeywell available for $80.00 Thermostatic Mixing Valve-AM101C-US-1 at The Home Depot you should be ok! This mod is now on my must do list. A better link to Marks RV and the adjustable kit is Marks RV: Adjustable Thermostat Kit. Thanks a bunch for a great idea.

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Default plumbing upgrades

The addition of the adjustable thermostat on the water heater (so you can raise the temperture)and the thermostatic mixing valve on the back of the water heater (to temper the water temperture down) to give you 50% more hot water from the 6 gallon tank (up to 9 gallons) is working great!!!
The second upgrade, I didn't have a problem while hooked up to city water, but running the waterpump and using the freshwater tank while boondocking I had oscolating pressure from the water pump and temperture changes (do to the pump cycling on and off) while taking a shower. I installed a Watts PLT-5 expansion tank from a hot water system. Pre-pressurised at 20 psi, it has a rubber bladder in it to regulate a even pressure on the water system. I'm using this tank like a accumilater tank. I teed off the main water supply right after the water pump and built a custom stand to hold the tank upright so it will drain when the water system has no pressure on it. Now with this tank installed, the water pump cycles on and off as normal and there is no more osculating pressure or temperture changes in the water flow because of the expansion tank holding a even pressure on the water system.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #6

Default Pictures of plumbing upgrade

Here are pictures of my new thermostatic mixing valve and expansion tank for my 2206.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg expansion tank and plumbing.jpg (63.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg thermostatic mixing valve.jpg (55.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
sam

Default Hot water

Thanks for sharing your mods and taking the time to post. The pictures are great for us visual people. Our hot water tank in the 90 Classic is the original and it still works. We shower in the bathhouse at state parks. Sometimes we just heat water on the stove for dishes,washing up ect. Ours is a suburban water heater has such a tight/fused in anode rod that you can,t even check it for wear/replacement. My only complaint is the water comes out scalding hot and no way that I know of the turn the temp down. We have a lengthy PDf file suburban faxed us. The tech. couldn't believe the water heater is still working after 21 yrs. Knock on wood!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Thanks for sharing your mods and taking the time to post. The pictures are great for us visual people. Our hot water tank in the 90 Classic is the original and it still works. We shower in the bathhouse at state parks. Sometimes we just heat water on the stove for dishes,washing up ect. Ours is a suburban water heater has such a tight/fused in anode rod that you can,t even check it for wear/replacement. My only complaint is the water comes out scalding hot and no way that I know of the turn the temp down. We have a lengthy PDf file suburban faxed us. The tech. couldn't believe the water heater is still working after 21 yrs. Knock on wood!!
If you just add the thermostatic mixing valve to the back of the water heater it would solve the scalding hot water problem. Because this valve is adjustable, you can set it to your desire water temperture.