Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #1

Default No hot water

Me and a friend of mine just stole a couple of 3195B's. If I told you all what we paid for them it would make you sick. The only major problem we have is neither of us has hot water. It sure looks to us like these are automatic type heaters. But when you turn the switch on (lights red) and wait no hot water. One camper is a 95 and the other is a 97.

Jobob307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #2

Look up the model number on the web - the manufacturer will have the manuals.
Don't rub it in.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobob307 View Post
Me and a friend of mine just stole a couple of 3195B's. If I told you all what we paid for them it would make you sick. The only major problem we have is neither of us has hot water. It sure looks to us like these are automatic type heaters. But when you turn the switch on (lights red) and wait no hot water. One camper is a 95 and the other is a 97.
Will try to give you some advice. Can only talk about my HiLo and hope you have a similar hot water heater system. Most of these have a heater that works on AC power and/or propane gas. Mine has two switches on the control panel one for gas and one for elec. For elec make sure the circuit breaker is on and the control panel switch on. Some heaters also have a switch on the heater. Make sure its on if there. If you have elec power to the heater element and its not getting hot then the element may be bad. If anyone has ever turned power on to the heater and it was empty (no water) then the element is blown. Most can be replaced cheaply. For gas operation turn the propane on and then the gas switch on and if the heater has an elec igniter it should light up and start heating. You may have to turn the gas switch off and back on a couple of times to purge air out of the gas line before its lights. If your heater has a pilot light then you will have to light this first. If it does not light then bugs or bees may have nest in the burner section and around the orfice that need to be cleaned out. You can operate on gas and elec at the same time to get quick hot water. As Rolff said you can google the heater manufacture and with the model number you can download the owners and parts manual. Make sure the heater is full of water before turning on. Get back if you have questions.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #4

Thank you both for the reply. I only have the one switch. My guess is the thermostat element. Some probably did forget to have the by pass valves turned correctly. I will figure it. Just need to find the time.
Jobob307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

# 1 rule is make sure you have water in the tank before you turn on your switch. If you have only one switch, you should have a propane heater. make sure you have propane in your tanks,Iusually check by turning on my stove, or heat system, these are the farthest away from the tanks after they light then I turn on my water heater. this worked for me.
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #6

I was kidding about the don't rub it in part. Good advice above here. I like the manuals because of the diagrams and schematics.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote