Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #21

Default Consider LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
If you are replacing the tail lights consider LED type, they are much more visible than the old fashion ones.
Funny you should say that -- I just spent a hundred bucks on LEDs for the interior lights. My wife and I would like to do some "boondocking", so that seemed like a wise move. I do like the fact that the LEDs would run cooler (which seems like it may have made the plastic somewhat brittle, even on tail-lights) and are brighter.

================================
1999 Hi-Lo TowLite - 24' TD
2003 Dodge Durango SLT - 4.7L V8 (4WD)
Stabilization Hitch
davegilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #22

Our 2310H has LED lights all the way around on the outside. The tail lights are big and round and have lots of LEDs in them. We converted to LED lights inside. Got 36 LED flat panels from Ebay for about $4 each and put them in. I had to convert the bases to the bayonet the size of the original bulbs. I broke the glass and everything from the bulbs then soldered the wires from the panels to them. They are double stick mounted to the top surface of the fixtures. They use only 1/6th of the power of the bulbs and make very little heat.

You can get them now for $2.79 on Ebay. They are shipped free from Hong Kong.
Warm White Car Interior 36 SMD LED Lamp Light Panel T10 Dome Bulb BA9S Adapter | eBay

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #23

Default < $3 LEDs

Ahhhhh, Rich, if you only lived closer. I could bring over my soldering gun and we could drink coffee and talk about the old times. . ..

I admire your resourcefulness!

Stabilization Hitch
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #24

Thank you for the compliment!

I have always been a tinkerer and have enjoyed making or improvising gizmos on the cheap. I guess I get that from my dad. He built his first radio circa 1920 from parts that he had to mail-order, that was before KDKA was on the air. After broadcast radio got going radios were rather expensive to buy so he built radios and sold them to his neighbors. That was in 1923 and he was 16 years old. I have one of those radios that was given back to him many years later.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #25

Default SEM Plastic Problem Repair Material

Ahhh, one thing I forgot to mention as I did my research:

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with SEM Paints (SEM39767) Problem Plastic Repair Material. . . it is pricey ($30 or so) plus you need a $60 ~ 80 "gun" to apply it (SEM Paints (SEM70029) 7 Oz. Dual-Mix Applicator Gun).

A local and long-time auto parts store in our area has a body/repairman who seems to be very "plastics/fiberglass" synthetic product friendly -- he swears by it. Says he doesn't know anything better.

But seeing as that option was going to put me back another hundred bucks, I went with the MEK/Fiberglass/All-Purpose Cement version of the repair, as described above.

Still, it looks like this stuff might have some promise. . . . .

Stabilization Hitch
Old 10-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #26

i am fixing up a 1992 funlite I purchased about 2 month ago. as i fix one think i find something else wrong. after getting advice on this forum and then being told to lubricate the ram. i crawled under the trailer and found out that the sewer line going to the black tank(i think) was being held up by Hay String. it is also broken away from the tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160904_115420.jpg (264.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20161011_102455.jpg (150.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20161011_102505.jpg (69.1 KB, 13 views)
lisakjcowgirl2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #27

Here is a link to a thread I started last year. My repair, including support, has worked well.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f27/...nted-fix-4546/

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #28

DaveGilbert,
I just finished doing the same type of repair. I took the toilet out, cut the vent pipe to the tank, and took the toilet flange out. I used fiberglass window screen and ABS cement to strengthen the patch as the crack when in a large "U" shape at outlet as well as cracks around toilet flange and vent outlets and along other areas. Remmber to drill a 1/4" or smaller hole to stop crack from spreading. all told had repair done in a day and allowed to dry overnight. As California has banned MEK, I used a product called Painters Solvent and a green 3M pad to get a good cleaning. Worked good and acted like a solvent to slightly soften the ABS surface temporarily. Tested it and it holds water. Forgot to get pics of process. but was a pretty easy fix to do.
dannylvn2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #29

hay string? now that there's funny I don't care who ya are! LOL reminds me of some stuff.lol
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro123 View Post
hay string? now that there's funny I don't care who ya are! LOL reminds me of some stuff.lol
Yeah i laughed pretty hard when I saw that myself
lisakjcowgirl2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #31

I grew up out in the country and believe it or not it does have many uses. ya just try not to have to use it. lol it'll get yer tractor home tho. most times. lol ya try not to make a habit of it.
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #32

Well if worse comes to worse you can always yank out the entire black tank and toliet and get a composting toliet. I think that is what I might do! So much simpler. Still thinking about that. Does the black tank have sensors does anyone know?
tlnovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #33
sam

Default Composting toilets

Do a search on the internet. I'm sure you will get answers to your questions.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #34
Site Team

Composting toilets are somewhat troublesome. You have to add peat to them after each use and make sure the liquid quantity is correct in them to allow composting. They CAN smell!. You simply check the level of "stuff" in the tray at the bottom of the "throne" to determine when to empty them. There's no "tank" that I know of. If it overflows, you'll know it!

- Jack
Old 06-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #35

No I was talking about the black tanks. Do they have sensors?
Old 06-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #36

Yes I know I can research on the Internet. Thank you.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #37
Site Team

tinovack - yes, the black and grey water tanks have sensors to help you determine the level inside. You would have to apply the sensors yourself to any new black water tank you purchased. I've changed the sensors on my tanks, it's not too hard.

sam was trying to be helpful, BTW.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #38

I was trying to say I was thinking of having the black tank removed and I was wondering about the sensors because if they had them they would have to come out as well. I know about composting toliets. I need to work on my wording. I know what I am trying to say. I can't assume others understand what I am writing. I appreciate your help.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #39

I need to make my statements more clear. So you know what I am saying. I apologize for that.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #40
Site Team

It's all good, tinovack - we're on your side here. I just wanted you to know that sam is a long time member who has been more than willing to help others with their problems. She was NOT being rude to you.

I'm sure the tank you have in the trailer DOES have sensors already installed. But, they may not be in very good shape now. The sensors you find installed in most tanks are not particularly reliable in my opinion, due to their design. If you DO change the tank, I think it would be worth your while to change the sensors as well. I recommend Horst Miracle Probes, which is what I put into my tanks. They are designed to prevent fouling by the tank contents which leads to false readings. They can be found on the internet. I THINK I bought mine from e-trailer.

You should be able to use the existing wiring from the sensors to the tank level display inside the trailer, unless it's been damaged.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote