Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Default Storage water capacity of 2001 Hi-Lo Tow-lite, 24'? My manual seems to not mention

Please tell me the size (gallons) of the potable, gray and black tanks? My manual doesn't mention this anywhere? Sanitizing the potable tank. Have to know gallons for the bleach ratio! WHY wouldn't the manual include this very important info.? 2001 Hi-Lo Towlite TD, 24'. Thanks.

tlnovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #2

I’m not at home to access my paperwork but I believe the gray and black tanks were 26 gallons each and the potable tank was 30 gallons on my 22’. I always used 1/2 cup of Clorox and filled the freshwater tank up and let it sit overnight. Never had any problems doing it this way.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #3

Thank you! Very good to know. I will let it sit overnight as well. Do you put anything down the 2 sinks and shower? Looks like there is a little crud in the sinks' drains. Do you run all the bleach water out through the gray tank? Just by running all the faucets and shower until it is empty?
Old 06-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Tinovack - I've done this MANY times. First, fill your fresh water tank about 1/3 full BEFORE you add any bleach solution. If you don't, most of it will go into the hot water tank which fills first. Then, mix the bleach with about a gallon of water and put it in. Finally, fill your tank the rest of the way with water. Let it sit as long as you want.

When you are ready to clean this out, run it through the sink and toilet faucets until the fresh water is empty. Do this using BOTH the hot and cold faucets! This will clean all the piping, AND your drains. It will also freshen your black and grey water tanks. Empty them, black water tank first.

Next, refill your fresh water tank and again, run BOTH the hot and cold water until the tanks are drained. This step is necessary to remove the chlorine taste from the fresh water tanks. Drain the black and grey tanks again.

Finally, you can fill the fresh water tank to the level you prefer and you're ready to go.

- Jack
Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #5

Perfect! Thank you for the quick reply because I am literally in the middle of doing it. I wrote all this down. I am making a Hi-Lo folder. This makes perfect sense. I am going to start over tonight and redo it. I am not planning on drinking the potable water but I still want it super clean. I am glad you mentioned BOTH hot and cold faucets to turn on. Very good. I had NO IDEA about the prefilling of the water heater tank. That is so good to know. I would like to see inside the potable tank to see what state it is in but that is impossible. Have to hope it is ok. Thanks again. This forum is so beneficial to me. I will pass it on.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #6

Thanks Jack for your post. Guess I should have gone into more detail with my post. I think my “sometimers” kicked in. Sometimes I remember and sometimes I don’t. 😂

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Been there, done that, Bob. Glad we could both help. Cheers!

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:44 AM   #8

Default Had a good day

Listened to advice on this thread and currently my fresh water tank is resting full with bleach water. Took forever to drain the FULL tank and we tried to measure the water by draining it into a 5-gallon bucket. We got a total of 25 gallons out. Worked on my new-to-me Hi-Lo and everything works! Even the furnace. I found the original little manual booklet stuck in the cubby of the furnace. Haven't looked at it myself but if anyone needs a copy. 2001 Towlite. 24 ft. Am replacing all the interior lights with LED. Having such a good time with this.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #9

Once i got beach mixture in tank (1/2 cup) and full ..with water hose removed..Turn on your sur- flow 12v water pump and run every faucet (and flush comode)tell it all gets BLEACHEY smelling..then shut down pump and let it sit with that Bleach mixture ,for hours or overnight.next day turn on pump and run some through each faucet and flush comode tell its gone..Then fill tank with fresh water several times and flush system tell you feel its clean....Bleachy smell will be around for days its harmless (just means CLEAN)
sometimes I bypass the hot water heater when cleaning ...I figger it gets hot enough to be clean.
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #10

Ok. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #11

Default Hi-Lo Brochures

I'm adding a link here to the Library with the brochures. You should be able to find the tank capacities there.

Hi-Lo Brochure - Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #12

Fabulous! Thank you. I got a ton of valuable information from this link. Didn't realize most of my rig has added on optional items! Has all the sleeping area dimensions which I need to know for bedding.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
Once i got beach mixture in tank (1/2 cup) and full ..with water hose removed..Turn on your sur- flow 12v water pump and run every faucet (and flush comode)tell it all gets BLEACHEY smelling..then shut down pump and let it sit with that Bleach mixture ,for hours or overnight.next day turn on pump and run some through each faucet and flush comode tell its gone..Then fill tank with fresh water several times and flush system tell you feel its clean....Bleachy smell will be around for days its harmless (just means CLEAN)
sometimes I bypass the hot water heater when cleaning ...I figger it gets hot enough to be clean.
Half a cup of bleach in 30 gallons of water is a huge amount of chlorine and when he says rinse (completely fill and completely drain) several times that's no joke. I used that much bleach once and I didn't think I'd ever be able to drink the water again.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #14

That s ok. I am no way drinking that potable water anyway ever. lol. My concern is having it CLEAN. Mainly for showers and washing dishes. I am not even going to rinse it. A plumber once said not to drink RV water -- you just don't know what is floating around in there. However I am sure many people do and that s fine. I have never even drank house tap water.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #15

Only water I drink is right out of RV faucet.Of course I clorox it several times a year..And drink bottled water tell clorox smell subsides
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #16

And you're still alive! lol. do you filter it?