Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Default Waste tank flushing?

Has anyone used any of the waste tank flushing/maintenance accessories such as: Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser or Dual Flush Pro/Flush King/Hydro Flush holding tank reverse flusher with any success? While emptying my tanks at Doran Beach the RV in line ahead of me used a Hydro Flush reverse flusher and he loved it, and preferred it to the Tank Wand ... makes me want to buy one too. This video I also found this "Sewer Solution" on YouTube which looks promising.

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

John, Looks like a good idea if your tanks are mounted in the rear of your trailer. If your tanks are mounted midship like mine, I don't see how the tanks can be flushed properly by shooting water up the longer drain lines. Several years ago I installed a flush nozzle into my black and gray water tanks. The water lines run to a brass "y" by my dump valves. By opening either lever on the "y" I can flush the tanks one at a time. It is a single hose hookup. I used a hole saw to make the hole for the nozzles across from the tank sensors hoping they would get rinsed off also. Hope this helps you decide which way to go.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #3

Default Comparison Test

I found this video which does a comparison of different flushing products. It's a bit long at 26 minutes but pretty interesting (if you like that sort of thing)

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Personally, I think the wand does an excellent job and seems much easier than any of the other systems shown.

- Jack
Old 05-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Personally, I think the wand does an excellent job and seems much easier than any of the other systems shown.

- Jack
I've used a wand in the past with a different RV and have used it with the HiLo when at home with good results. It's more difficult when you have been camping without sewer hookups to rinse the tank right away, especially when rigs are lined up waiting behind you at the dump. You would have to hook up a hose, disconnect power from the TV, raise up the trailer, go in and rinse the tank, etc. Seems much easier to use an installed rinser so I bought the Tornado, based on recommendations from forum members, but have not installed it as of yet. Hope to get to it before our next adventure!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
I've used a wand in the past with a different RV and have used it with the HiLo when at home with good results. It's more difficult when you have been camping without sewer hookups to rinse the tank right away, especially when rigs are lined up waiting behind you at the dump. You would have to hook up a hose, disconnect power from the TV, raise up the trailer, go in and rinse the tank, etc. Seems much easier to use an installed rinser so I bought the Tornado, based on recommendations from forum members, but have not installed it as of yet. Hope to get to it before our next adventure!
Yes, it WOULD irritate other campers if you decided to "wand" your black tank while they were waiting. I never "clean" my black tank until I get home, so that's not a problem for me. I DO dump it at the first available dump site when leaving a campground though. The small amount of "residue" left onboard along with the blue disinfectant has never seemed to be a problem.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDgent View Post
Has anyone used any of the waste tank flushing/maintenance accessories such as: Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser or Dual Flush Pro/Flush King/Hydro Flush holding tank reverse flusher with any success? While emptying my tanks at Doran Beach the RV in line ahead of me used a Hydro Flush reverse flusher and he loved it, and preferred it to the Tank Wand ... makes me want to buy one too. This video I also found this "Sewer Solution" on YouTube which looks promising.
I use the wand and installed it on my first trailer and installed another on my second trailer. It is easy to hook up a water supply hose while you empty your tanks and then only takes a few minutes to rinse after the tanks have emptied. If there is a line of RV's waiting to dump, my rinse time is brief and I will then rinse again when I get home.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote