Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Default 1 Amp fuse in 15 Amp spot

I came across this post from lincow (member). Looks like the same thing I have have going on.

Thanks. One of my fuses near the rocker switch is 1 amp and the manual says all are 15 amp. I may have to give up and take it to some one to fix.
Thanks for your help
lincow

Can someone explain why I have 1 amp fuse in a 15 Amp spot? Should I put a 15 Amp in there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiLo 057.jpg (118.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HiLo 058.jpg (132.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HiLo 061.jpg (196.9 KB, 4 views)

Madocian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Site Team

I THINK, if that's the feed to the "monitor", it's just carrying current to the tank levels and the battery condition indicator. Those are all low draw items I believe.

In any case, if things work and the fuse does not blow, you don't need to do anything about it. It's never harmful to install a fuse that has a lower rating than specified. It just means that it will act more quickly in case of a malfunction such as a short circuit. What WOULD be dangerous would be to install a 20 Amp fuse in place of a 15 Amp one. That would reduce your circuit protection.

- Jack

Old 05-26-2016, 01:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
...In any case, if things work and the fuse does not blow, you don't need to do anything about it. It's never harmful to install a fuse that has a lower rating than specified. It just means that it will act more quickly in case of a malfunction such as a short circuit. What WOULD be dangerous would be to install a 20 Amp fuse in place of a 15 Amp one. That would reduce your circuit protection.

- Jack
Spec is for maximum 15A fuse. What that indicates is that the circuit wiring and components are capable of carrying 15 amps. What you are protecting with the 1 amp fuse is the circuitry in the monitor and its peripheral devices. You get a greater level of protection if something short circuits because a 1A fuse will fail sooner than a 15A fuse will, and hopefully saving your monitor from a complete meltdown.
underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:02 AM   #4

Awesome replies, Thank you so much.
Madocian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:49 PM   #5

A short circuit theoretically produces an infinite amount of amperage so, if there was a short, you would not notice a difference in opening time between the 1 amp or the 15 amp fuse or a 100 amp fuse for that matter. I would guess the 1 amp fuse is to protect the LED's on the tank level and battery display. However, if your not having issues with blowing fuses then I would not worry about it.

Mike
2006 GMC Sierra Denali
Stroker920 is offline   Reply With Quote