Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #21

Default Defective outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
Do you remember the model # of the double 12v outlet from west marine?
Quick question! Top half of duplex outlet in front of kitchen sink quit working after using it all nite for my ceramic floor heater? Why??
Joe

JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #22

My educated guess is that the outlet has gone bad if one side works and the other side is bad. The two sides of a receptical can be split if you break off the tabs between the screws. We do this in a house if you want one half hot all the time and the other half connected to a wall switch to operate a lamp. No reason for this on this outlet. If I remember, this outlet is connected to a ground fault outlet. Find that GFC outlet and press the test button, then the reset button and see if this helps. Also check to see that the connections behind the outlet are tight.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJones View Post
Quick question! Top half of duplex outlet in front of kitchen sink quit working after using it all nite for my ceramic floor heater? Why??
Joe
Joe,

As I recall if the outlets does not have its own Ground Fault, then it may be connected to a ground fault outlet in the bath room. If the GFI was activated, it should remove current from both upper and lower outlets. You said the top half so I assume the bottom half still works? If that is the case, you should turn the AC off and remove the outlet to check it. As Jim L said there is a link between the two outlets that can be cut for separate circuit functions but not likely in this case. Check the wiring for loose connections and signs of arcing and tighten or replace if necessary.

If it is wired directly to the circuit box, check the circuit amperage rating. If your ceramic heater exceeds that rating and your wiring is sufficient to upgrade the breaker, you might change that breaker out.

I would think a 15-amp breaker would handle the wattage drawn by the ceramic heater if it is the only appliance in use at the time. If something else is drawing current and the heater draws a lot of current for a prolonged time, it may cause the breaker or GFI to heat up just enough to trip. You might also give the ceramic heater an inspection to see that all is well.

If everything checks out okay and it happens again, then you might want to have an electrician check it out.

jcurtis95
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
I installed two 12 volt outlets on the side the kitchen cabinet. I got the double outlet at a local West Marine store.

The wiring consists of a marine 12/2 wire that runs from the cabinet, under the trailer, to the battery compartment. It is fused at the battery compartment. I sealed the hole where the wire it comes out of the trailer floor with 3M 4200.

Both outlets are on the same 20A circuit. This is OK because the largest draw I will have is a 12 VDC coffee maker. I do not plug anything else in when this is running. The other things that I will plug into here are a TV, phone chargers, camera battery charger, etc.

Eventually I want to install one or two more 12 VDC outlets on the side of the refrigerator cabinet.
I replaced the cable/telephone out let with a cable/12 volt outlet. I really don't think anyone uses the telephone outlet. Installation was easy. The telephone wire came in handy for pulling the new wire down from the outlet opening. I ran the wire to the fuse panel and connected to a blank fuse location. I think I used a 15 amp fuse and 12 gauge wire. The memoery is gone. RV camper Trailer TV Outlet 12 Volt 75 Ohm Outlet | eBay You have to look around to find these outlet plates, my dealer friend had one that he just gave me.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I replaced the cable/telephone out let with a cable/12 volt outlet. I really don't think anyone uses the telephone outlet. Installation was easy. The telephone wire came in handy for pulling the new wire down from the outlet opening. I ran the wire to the fuse panel and connected to a blank fuse location. I think I used a 15 amp fuse and 12 gauge wire. The memoery is gone. RV camper Trailer TV Outlet 12 Volt 75 Ohm Outlet | eBay You have to look around to find these outlet plates, my dealer friend had one that he just gave me.
Be careful not to connect high current devices to the outlet you installed. It is only rated to 8 Amps.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Be careful not to connect high current devices to the outlet you installed. It is only rated to 8 Amps.
I don't have anything that draws near that much. I can't remember if it had any rating marked on it. Maybe I should back the fuse off a bit. Thanks!
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #27

I use a 12 volt coffee maker in my TT. That's why I went with outlets rated to 20A.

2408T
Old 02-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #28

I bought a 12 VDC adapter for my CPAP machine and then installed a 12VDC outlet next to the bed. Now I can sleep in comfort while camping at the many dry campsites we have in our State. Actually, I use the DC adapter even when we have an electrical hook-up. Makes for one less cord (the AC) to pack!

Most CPAP machines have a DC adapter available. So if you are a user, this might be something for you to consider.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #29

Just curious as to why you ran the feed from the battery box, do you not have a 12v fuse block inside the camper?
I have a 12v fuse block next to my converter under the seat on my 95 towlite that I ran a 12v outlet and my fridge fans to, there were 3 or 4 unused circuits on it.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Just curious as to why you ran the feed from the battery box, do you not have a 12v fuse block inside the camper?
I have a 12v fuse block next to my converter under the seat on my 95 towlite that I ran a 12v outlet and my fridge fans to, there were 3 or 4 unused circuits on it.
My trailer has one unused circuit in the converter fuse block. It is rated for 15A and I wanted the new outlets to have a 20A capacity. So I couldn't use it. I could have run power straight from the battery feed on the fuse block to a dedicated fuse or to an extra fuse block, but I decided that running straight from the battery was actually easier.

2408T
Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #31

Default Raul, coffee maker question

Raul, we'd be interested in knowing your opinion of your coffee maker and what brand you bought. We are serious coffee drinkers and aren't much interested in a dinky 4 cup machine. Would you make the same purchase again? Thanks for your time. Jim and Brenda in Memphis
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Raul, we'd be interested in knowing your opinion of your coffee maker and what brand you bought. We are serious coffee drinkers and aren't much interested in a dinky 4 cup machine. Would you make the same purchase again? Thanks for your time. Jim and Brenda in Memphis
We use a Cuisinart 12 volt coffee maker that has a 4 cup capacity. It takes a long time to brew, maybe 3x-4x longer than an AC-powered one but it makes good coffee. We brew 2-3 pots and pour the coffee in a large thermos.

This site carries a few 12 volt coffee makers: 12 Volt Coffee Makers: Power Hunt, Cuisinart, RoadPro 12 Volt Coffee Pots

2408T
Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #33

Quote:
We use a Cuisinart 12 volt coffee maker that has a 4 cup capacity. It takes a long time to brew, maybe 3x-4x longer than an AC-powered one but it makes good coffee. We brew 2-3 pots and pour the coffee in a large thermos.

This site carries a few 12 volt coffee makers: 12 Volt Coffee Makers: Power Hunt, Cuisinart, RoadPro 12 Volt Coffee Pots
Why not a percolator? It smells so good and warms the trailer in the morning? Of course that is one of my fond memories of camping as a child. Although if we have AC we use a drip.
Ralph
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #34

Default Still looking

We've talked to other people and they mostly seems to say the 12V is pretty slow. I guess we'll stay with our Black and Decker drip for now. Tell me, what smells better in the outdoors than coffee brewing and bacon in the pan?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #35

We have a coleman drip coffee maker that sits on top of the burner.

It does a very nice job.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
We have a coleman drip coffee maker that sits on top of the burner.

It does a very nice job.
You must be pretty smart because we have one too. I have been taking it outside and sitting it on the old Coleman stove when the weather allows.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 02-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #37

I bought a new Coleman propane 10-cup machine yesterday, new, on Ebay for $40.00. I'll let you know if it was worth the money.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #38

Default Coffee option

We use a French press for coffee while in the Hi-Lo. Inexpensive, water heats on the propane stove top, good coffee.

hootliz1 is offline   Reply With Quote